Paint Questiion Ratio

Redmoon

Q A particular shade of purple paint is made by mixing red, blue and white paint in the ratio 3 : 5 : 2. The paint is sold in small tins each containing 1 litre of paint. If you stock has 20L of red, 25L of blue and 8L of white paint, what is the maximum number of tins of this purple paint that can be created?

Ok so what I tried doing was putting to Litres into the ratios like this

Red 20 L divided by 3 = 6.6

Blue 25 L divided by 5 = 5

White 8 L divided by 2 = 4

Together the ratios = 10

Would it be 8 tins because you are limited by the white? Or am I going wrong somewhere thanks.

Looks good to me. And you can verify your answer: when you use up all your white while maintaining the required ratio you'll still have both red and blue left.

Q A particular shade of purple paint is made by mixing red, blue and white paint in the ratio 3 : 5 : 2. The paint is sold in small tins each containing 1 litre of paint. If you stock has 20L of red, 25L of blue and 8L of white paint, what is the maximum number of tins of this purple paint that can be created?

Together the ratios = 10

Would it be 8 tins because you are limited by the white? Or am I going wrong somewhere thanks.
You're right that it's limited by the white; but how much of the mixed paint will you make if you use all the white? It isn't only 8 liters. That's just the white!

Together the ratios = 10

It takes 0.2L of White to make 1L of Purple.
If you have 8L of White, how many Liters of Purple can you make?

Together the ratios = 10

You have recognised that the White paint is your limiting factor.
You have 8 litres of that in total.
Consider your ratios:
3 : 5 : 2. (I'm using Black for White; for an obvious reason, I trust.?)
If you multiply these by 4, you get:
12 : 20 : 8.
Using those (new) ratios you can see immediately what volume of the other colours is required to use up all the White.
Check:-
Do you have enough
Red? Yes: 20-12 leaves 8 litres to spare.
Do you have enough
Blue? Yes: 25-20 leaves 5 litres to spare.
So you can mix up all your White paint in these proportions:

(R : B : W )      12 : 20 : 8 (Litres)
How many litres in total does that give you?

You have recognised that the White paint is your limiting factor.
You have 8 litres of that in total.
Consider your ratios:
3 : 5 : 2. (I'm using Black for White; for an obvious reason, I trust.?)
If you multiply these by 4, you get:
12 : 20 : 8.
Using those (new) ratios you can see immediately what volume of the other colours is required to use up all the White.
Check:-
Do you have enough
Red? Yes: 20-12 leaves 8 litres to spare.
Do you have enough
Blue? Yes: 25-20 leaves 5 litres to spare.
So you can mix up all your White paint in these proportions:

(R : B : W )      12 : 20 : 8 (Litres)
How many litres in total does that give you?
So would it be 40 L / 40 tins or is that not correct?