Parabola's tangent

Loki123

Write the equation of the tangent of the parabola y ^ 2 = 24x if it contains a point M (-1 / 6,0) that does not belong to the parabola.

The only difference between my answer and the book's answer is that I define k as a negative or a positive number. I am wrong? IMG_20220303_153249.jpg

Write the equation of the tangent of the parabola y ^ 2 = 24x if it contains a point M (-1 / 6,0) that does not belong to the parabola.

The only difference between my answer and the book's answer is that I define k as a negative or a positive number. I am wrong? View attachment 31474
First, your answer is right, though it should be written as [imath]\pm(6x+1)[/imath] to make it clear that both signs must be the same. In the graph below, the solid red and green lines are your tangents, and the dotted lines are theirs:

1646321263680.png

Clearly their lines don't both pass through the given point. So they've made a mistake, at least a typo.

As for your work, I don't know what you're doing. What does p mean, as you have been taught? Where does "p = 2kn" come from? (I would be using the derivative, but perhaps you haven't learned that, and this is a special formula you learned for the parabola.)

First, your answer is right, though it should be written as [imath]\pm(6x+1)[/imath] to make it clear that both signs must be the same. In the graph below, the solid red and green lines are your tangents, and the dotted lines are theirs:

Clearly their lines don't both pass through the given point. So they've made a mistake, at least a typo.

As for your work, I don't know what you're doing. What does p mean, as you have been taught? Where does "p = 2kn" come from? (I would be using the derivative, but perhaps you haven't learned that, and this is a special formula you learned for the parabola.)
P=2kn has to be true for y=kx+n to be a tangent to y^2=2px

So you are just taught this as a formula with no further explanation, as I expected. I haven't see it in this form, but I find in on a couple sites that Google translates for me (from Serbian), that define p as the distance from the directrix to the focus, as I expected. (We usually use a parameter representing the distance from the vertex to the focus.) So everything makes sense.

Your work is correct.