Please help me answer this question!

yazziefae

How many 4 digit sequences are there on the set {1,2, ..... 6} that start with 2?

Thank you!

Please help us with a description of what you have tried.

How many 4 digit sequences are there on the set {1,2, ..... 6} that start with 2?

Thank you!
You did not specify whether

repetition of digits allowed.​

How many 3 digit sequences can you have - out of that given "set"?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Thanks for your reply!
I don't know where to even begin. I posted exactly what the teacher asked on the homework assignment. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your reply! I don't know where to even begin. I posted exactly what the teacher asked on the homework assignment. Any thoughts?
Why don't you list some sequences, e.g.

2345, 2346 ....... how many?

The question doesn't state anything about repetition, so my guess is that it's allowed. The question is asking how many 4 digit sequences are there in the set of six digits that start with the number 2. I'm stumped by the whole thing that's why I posted it on here for help.

How many choices do you have for the first digit? The second digit? etc... Piece together your sequence with the number of choices you have in each spot.

If the first digit must be 2 then the question is really just how many three digit numbers you can form. If digits can be repeated, the next digit must be one of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, six possibilities. And the third digit can be any of those six, and so can the last digit.

If digits cannot be repeated, the second digit can be 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, five possibilities. The third digt can be any of the four remaining and the last digit can be any of the three remaining.

The OP asks:
How many 4 digit sequences are there on the set {1,2, ..... 6}​
I suggest the sequence 2453 is not on the set! And of course many other like that (e.g. 2354...)

Very ill-defined problem in my opinion.