Please Help!!!!

egarcia

The equation, y = 35.5(0.97)x , represents the number of people in millions living on American farms, where x represents the number of years after 1935. What is the y-intercept of the equation and what does it represent?

egarcia said:
The equation, y = 35.5(0.97)x , represents the number of people in millions living on American farms, where x represents the number of years after 1935. What is the y-intercept of the equation and what does it represent?

Again, your notation is not clear. I THINK you mean this:

y = 35.5(0.97)[sup:272whl2s]x[/sup:272whl2s]

At any rate, the y-intercept for any graph (if it HAS one) occurs when x = 0 (because any point on the y-axis has an x-coordinate of 0).

Whatever your equation REALLY is, substitute 0 for x, and evaluate.

And if x represents the number of years after 1935, when x = 0, you're talking about the number of people in millions living on American farms IN 1935.

egarcia said:
so would the y-intercept be 34.435?

Your equation is this:

y = 35.5(0.97)[sup:hfphp51u]x[/sup:hfphp51u]

If you substitute 0 for x, you'll have

y = 35.5*(0.97)[sup:hfphp51u]0[/sup:hfphp51u]

What is the value of ANY non-zero number raised to the power of 0?

egarcia said:

Um, no.

Please check your textbook for the rules of exponents...you are expected to know what happens when you raise any non-zero value to the power of 0.

Here are a few examples of this rule:

5[sup:du7aewo0]0[/sup:du7aewo0] = 1

3.46[sup:du7aewo0]0[/sup:du7aewo0] = 1

0.094[sup:du7aewo0]0[/sup:du7aewo0] = 1

Are you SURE you've looked carefully at your book?

ooohh. I get thanks alot! I always thought the book meant like in multiplication.
Now I get it THANKS!!

egarcia said:
ooohh. I get thanks alot! I always thought the book meant like in multiplication.
Now I get it THANKS!!

You're welcome...but, that said, I think if you'd looked at the examples in your textbook you would have SEEN that it did not mean "like in multiplication" for something like 5[sup:1rqh3ryr]0[/sup:1rqh3ryr]