Proofs of exponential rules, radical rules, and rational exponent rules

jpanknin

There's lots of info on the rules of these concepts, but I can't seem to find good proofs of them. I can only find examples worked out. Does anyone know where to find proofs of the exponent, radical, and rational rules/laws/properties?

There's lots of info on the rules of these concepts, but I can't seem to find good proofs of them. I can only find examples worked out. Does anyone know where to find proofs of the exponent, radical, and rational rules/laws/properties?
Here's an example of some of them. The rest are pretty much the same pattern. Take a look at it and if you have further questions let us know.

-Dan

Googled for 45 minutes and didn't see those articles. Thank you both for that. The andrusia article was very good. Very helpful for exponents and rational exponents, but still haven't found anything great for radicals/roots other than saying just to convert them to exponents.

Googled for 45 minutes and didn't see those articles. Thank you both for that. The andrusia article was very good. Very helpful for exponents and rational exponents, but still haven't found anything great for radicals/roots other than saying just to convert them to exponents.
I'll show you for a square root. The other radicals are similar.

I'm going to assume we have already proven that [imath]x^a \cdot x^b = x^{a + b}[/imath] for rational a and b

We know that the square function and the square root function are inverses of each other. So [imath]\left ( \sqrt{x} \right )^2 = x[/imath]. If the radical can be expressed as an exponent, then write it as [imath]\sqrt{x} = x^a[/imath].

So
[imath]\left ( \sqrt{x} \right )^2 = ( x^a \cdot x^a ) = x^{2a} = x = x^1[/imath]

But that means 2a = 1. Thus a = 1/2 and therefore [imath]\sqrt{x} = x^a = x^{1/2}[/imath]. Other radicals work the same way. [imath]( \sqrt[3]{x} )^3 = x[/imath], etc.

-Dan

Last edited: