Quadratics

Jade727

Hey everyone, this isn't really a geometry or trig post - it's quadratics, but I was wondering if someone could help me out with this question.

A basketball player is 1.85 m tall and stands at a horizontal distance of 7 m from the hoop.
If the hoop is 3.05 m above the ground and measures 46 cm in diameter, determine the equations of at least two parabolic trajectories that the ball can take for the basketball player to score from his current position.

The problem asks you to find two parabolic trajectories but you have found only one! However, it seems odd to take the diameter of the basketball hoop into account but not the diameter of the ball! After all, the point of taking the diameter of the hoop into account is to get a path (of the center of the ball) to each side. But if the center of the ball hits either edge of the hoop the ball won't go through! The "two paths" should be of the center of the ball should be so that the back edged of the ball hits the back edge of the hoop or the front edge of the ball hits the front edge of the hoop.

The "two paths" should be of the center of the ball should be so that the back edged of the ball hits the back edge of the hoop or the front edge of the ball hits the front edge of the hoop.
This may not work depending on the final angle of the trajectory. I would "shoot" for the center of the hoop both times and vary the height of the trajectory keeping it high enough for the ball not to hit the rim.

If the diameter is given as 46cm why are you using 24 cm?? Possible you think that the radius is 24cm?? If so, then please try that calculation again.