Question regarding data "points"

markraz

Hi Please see pic of the linear regression example below. It specifies 4 data points

(6,4,11) = 20,
(8,5,15) = 30
(12,9,25) = 50
(2,1,3) = 7

My question is, how are exactly are these considered points? they look like planes or something else. What am I missing ? thanks in advance.

1612326252159.png

(12,9,25) = 50
(2,1,3) = 7

My question is, how are exactly are these considered points? they look like planes or something else. What am I missing ? thanks in advance.

NOTE: I have not studied linear regression myself, but I have a high level understanding that may or may not be correct. So consider this a "get the ball rolling" post and hopefully somebody will write a subsequent post if I'm wrong!

I think the final output from such a linear regression will be a 3d scalar field. That is, you can plug in any 3d point and you'll obtain a scalar value (a real number) as output. In order to train, or determine, the linear regression you need to supply a set of points as "training data". Each of these points must have a scalar value associated with it. These are like target values for the linear regression. So after you've determined the linear regression, and you plug in (2,1,3) from your example then you'd expect 7 as the output (if the training was "perfect"). BUT, if the training data had other, conflicting, targets near that same 3d point then the output would be a compromise.

EDIT: It would have been clearer if they had written something like f( [2,1,3] ) = 7, or just had a table

Last edited:
Hi Please see pic of the linear regression example below. It specifies 4 data points

(6,4,11) = 20,
(8,5,15) = 30
(12,9,25) = 50
(2,1,3) = 7

View attachment 24858
If you're just asking why they are called "points", that's because they are ordered n-tuples, which define points in some space. In this example, the notation (which I don't think I've seen before) means that for x=6, y=4, z=11, a fourth variable w=20, which can be taken to be a function of (x,y,z): f(6,4,11)=20. So this represents a point (6,4,11,20) in 4-space.

If you're just asking why they are called "points", that's because they are ordered n-tuples, which define points in some space. In this example, the notation (which I don't think I've seen before) means that for x=6, y=4, z=11, a fourth variable w=20, which can be taken to be a function of (x,y,z): f(6,4,11)=20. So this represents a point (6,4,11,20) in 4-space.
thanks appreciate it. So is w considered a "homogeneous" coordinate?

thanks

NOTE: I have not studied linear regression myself, but I have a high level understanding that may or may not be correct. So consider this a "get the ball rolling" post and hopefully somebody will write a subsequent post if I'm wrong!

I think the final output from such a linear regression will be a 3d scalar field. That is, you can plug in any 3d point and you'll obtain a scalar value (a real number) as output. In order to train, or determine, the linear regression you need to supply a set of points as "training data". Each of these points must have a scalar value associated with it. These are like target values for the linear regression. So after you've determined the linear regression, and you plug in (2,1,3) from your example then you'd expect 7 as the output (if the training was "perfect"). BUT, if the training data had other, conflicting, targets near that same 3d point then the output would be a compromise.

EDIT: It would have been clearer if they had written something like f( [2,1,3] ) = 7, or just had a table
thanks I'll have to read up on scalar fields. I have heard the term. Thanks appreciate it.