Ratios and proportions help needed

This is somewhat making sense to me. The party that “you want to break up 45 into 10 equal pieces” is what I’m confused with.

I get the calculation but how do you just derive to 10 all the sudden.

The ratio was 3:7 so what you just add those for no reason?? To get whatever you need to split the 45?
I will try my very best to tell you what is going.
You have a big pile of marbles. You want to split them up into two piles in a 3:7 ratio.
Here is what you do. You take 3 marbles from the pile and put them into pile #1. Then you take 7 marbles from the pile and put them in pile #2. If any marbles are left over then you take 3 marbles and put them into pile #1 and then take 7 marbles and put them into pile #2. You continue this process until no marbles are left.

Can you do this slightly differently? YES! You can take 10 marbles (yes, 3+7) at a time and put 3 of these 10 marbles in pile #1 and the remaining 7 into pile #2. Continue until no marbles are left.

Now suppose there are 80 marbles to start with. How many times can you take 10 marbles? The answer is 80/10 or 8 times.
So 8 times you put 3 marbles into pile #1 (for a total of 8*3 marbles) and 8 times you put 7 marbles into pile #2 (for a total of 8*7 marbles).

So in the end if you have 80 marbles you want to put into a 3:7 you compute 80/(3+7) = 8. The you multiply this 8 by 3 and 7.

Is this clear? Is there anything you do not understand?

I will try my very best to tell you what is going.
You have a big pile of marbles. You want to split them up into two piles in a 3:7 ratio.
Here is what you do. You take 3 marbles from the pile and put them into pile #1. Then you take 7 marbles from the pile and put them in pile #2. If any marbles are left over then you take 3 marbles and put them into pile #1 and then take 7 marbles and put them into pile #2. You continue this process until no marbles are left.

Can you do this slightly differently? YES! You can take 10 marbles (yes, 3+7) at a time and put 3 of these 10 marbles in pile #1 and the remaining 7 into pile #2. Continue until no marbles are left.

Now suppose there are 80 marbles to start with. How many times can you take 10 marbles? The answer is 80/10 or 8 times.
So 8 times you put 3 marbles into pile #1 (for a total of 8*3 marbles) and 8 times you put 7 marbles into pile #2 (for a total of 8*7 marbles).

So in the end if you have 80 marbles you want to put into a 3:7 you compute 80/(3+7) = 8. The you multiply this 8 by 3 and 7.

Is this clear? Is there anything you do not understand?

Yes it is clear! Thank you.

It's a round die with an uncountable number of numbers on it. Didn't they teach you anything in engineering school?
Nope ... those are glass spheres that were dislodged from the head of mathematicians!!