Real world Trig problem

Joshua_h

Hello, I am very uncomfortable with this math problem. So I have calculated the area of ports in a cylinder by tracing them on paper while in the bore. This has given me the cordal area. How can I calculate the actual area? Please help. IMG_0118 2.jpg

The cylinder diameter is 55.50mm

On the picture:
L - arc length
h- height
c- chord
R- radius
a- angle

Area:
A=\frac{1}{2}R^2(\alpha-\sin{\alpha})
[1]
Arc length:
L={\alpha}R

Chord length:
c=2{R}{\sin{\frac{\alpha}{2}}}

Segment height:
h={R}\left(1-{\cos{\frac{\alpha}{2}}}\right)

Attachments

• 1304848895.png
    1304848895.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi Joshua. I can't tell from your description or diagram what defines the "cordal area", so I'm not sure what actual area you seek. (I've heard of cordal areas only in the context of certain, specific anatomical regions inside a living organism, and I can't relate that to your situation.) Can you post additional information, like drawing the area and shading the part that's cordal or shading the part that's actual, so we can see the difference?

?

Sorry I explained this poorly. What I am seeking is the actual area of the port. What I have is a rubbing that is then measured on a flat plain & does not accurately represent the area when in the cylinder. What I have is called a cordal (as in a hypothetical cord across the port) area when I am needing actual area when in the 55.5 diameter cylinder.

Hi Joshua. I can't tell from your description or diagram what defines the "cordal area", so I'm not sure what actual area you seek. (I've heard of cordal areas only in the context of certain, specific anatomical regions inside a living organism, and I can't relate that to your situation.) Can you post additional information, like drawing the area and shading the part that's cordal or shading the part that's actual, so we can see the difference?

?
Is there any other info I need to get to solve this?