rectangle width is 39, perim. >= 684: find all poss. lengths

Harness.James

Whats the method called for how to sovle a problem like this? I could use a formula is someone doesn't mind.

THE WIDTH OF A RECTANGLE IS 39 CENTIMETERS. FIND ALL POSSIBLE VALUES FOR THE LENGTH OF THE RECTANGLE IF THE PERIMETER IS AT LEAST 684 CENTIMETERS

Thanks

Re: Formula Help Please

Harness.James said:
Whats the method called for how to sovle a problem like this? I could use a formula is someone doesn't mind.

THE WIDTH OF A RECTANGLE IS 39 CENTIMETERS. FIND ALL POSSIBLE VALUES FOR THE LENGTH OF THE RECTANGLE IF THE PERIMETER IS AT LEAST 684 CENTIMETERS

Thanks

These are inequality problems.

I'll do a similar problem for you:

THE WIDTH OF A RECTANGLE IS 10 CENTIMETERS. FIND ALL POSSIBLE VALUES FOR THE LENGTH OF THE RECTANGLE IF THE Area IS AT LEAST 64 sq.CENTIMETERS.

Area of rectangle = A = Length * Width...........................................(1)

according to the problem:

A > 64................................................................................(2)

Applying (1) in (2)

Length * Width > 64...............................................................(3)

W = 10 ..............................Given........................................(4)

Applying (4) in (3)

length * 10 > 64

length > 64/10

length > 6.4

So length can be any value greater than 6.4 cm

If you are still stuck, write back showing your work - and excatly where you are stuck, so that we know where to begin to help you.

Re: Formula Help Please

Oh much appreciated :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(