Relations

fg9

Could first-cousin relationships be considered "transitive"?

Now you tell me:

Could first-cousin relationships be considered "transitive"?
Yes, I think it is. However, I'm trying to double-check. Probably because I'm, slightly, confused in regard to the exact definition of "first cousin".

Yes, I think it is. However, I'm trying to double-check. Probably because I'm, slightly, confused in regard to the exact definition of "first cousin".
"first cousin" could have a modifier - maternal or paternal.

Then the answer would be clear.

What if the definition, simply, states "their parents are siblings".. without the gender modifier? Transitive, I'm guessing?
Honestly, I'm an obsessive double-checker. Math terrifies me!

Try specific examples. My sister's children are first cousins to my children. My sister's children are also first cousins to the children of my sister's brother-in-law. Does that make my children cousins to the children of my sister's brother-in-law?

Much of math is a very concise way of expressing general ideas. You can always test your understanding with specifics.

David's mother has a sister who has a daughter named Carol.
Carol's father has a brother who's son is Scott.
Now David & Carol are first cousins and Carol & Scott are first cousins.
Are David & Scott first cousins??

What if the definition, simply, states "their parents are siblings".. without the gender modifier? Transitive, I'm guessing?
To clarify, what you are doing here is not "double-checking"; it is asking for an answer. What you need to check is not the answer, but your reasoning, which is what you are supposed to be learning. To help you check that, we need to see your reasoning; all you've shown of that is "I think so". Please tell us why you think so! Our goal is to help you be confident of your own reasoning, so you won't have to ask other people so much.

Two of us just now suggested using examples, which is a very good idea. An example is not, of course, a proof -- unless it turns out to be a counterexample, in which case you will be done. But it can help build your mental image of the problem.

For a problem like this, I would probably start by writing a clear definition of what first cousin means (as you have done here -- the definition does indeed ignore gender), and then considering both simple and less-obvious examples (which is the reason for the mention of gender, namely that you need to consider cousins on both sides). I might draw some family trees. While doing that, I'd be writing out what transitive means in this context: "the cousin of my cousin is my cousin". That one sentence may be all you need.

What I meant is that I'm double-checking (or trying to) my reasoning. Not everyone is good at putting things into words, particularly when the subject is new and they have a disability.

When I stated "their parents are siblings (without the gender modifier)", I was thinking of an example like the following:
A, B and C are siblings.
A has a daughter d
B has a son e
C has a daughter f

dRe, eRf and dRf, making it a transitive relation. I may or may not be correct.

What I meant is that I'm double-checking (or trying to) my reasoning. Not everyone is good at putting things into words, particularly when the subject is new and they have a disability.

When I stated "their parents are siblings (without the gender modifier)", I was thinking of an example like the following:
A, B and C are siblings.
A has a daughter d
B has a son e
C has a daughter f

dRe, eRf and dRf, making it a transitive relation. I may or may not be correct.
Just because the examples you look at do not go against the transitive property does not mean that you have the transitive property. Possibly you have not looked at all examples. Your examples so far only looked at the children of brothers and sisters.

Suppose John has a brother Jack and Susan has a brother Juan.
Now Susan marries Jack.

Susan and Jack have a child named Julio
John has a son named Bill and Juan has a daughter named Jill.

Julio and Bill are 1st cousins. Julio and Jill are 1st cousins.

Are Bill and Jill 1st Cousins?

Reactions: fg9
I'm really sorry, but I need to mention this (without taking names).
It wouldn't kill some people to react in a more considerate/compassionate matter, without making assumptions about others.
I understand several members possess remarkable mathematical acumen. However, that doesn't justify an elitist or haughty attitude .
I'm sure there are other walks of life they're yet to master, and would hate being treated similarly when approached as a complete beginner.
It takes courage to display humility, particularly when the Internet grows a tendency to grant illusions of greatness.

Just because the examples you look at do not go against the transitive property does not mean that you have the transitive property. Possibly you have not looked at all examples. Your examples so far only looked at the children of brothers and sisters.

Suppose John has a brother Jack and Susan has a brother Juan.
Now Susan marries Jack.

Susan and Jack have a child named Julio
John has a son named Bill and Juan has a daughter named Jill.

Julio and Bill are 1st cousins. Julio and Jill are 1st cousins.

Are Bill and Jill 1st Cousins?

Yes, I understand the possibilities.
I'd prefer to avoid stating the exact question I'm handling, but it is a specific one..quite similar to my example.

However, I can see why, in a broader sense, it may not be "transitive relation".

The modifier I was referring to is the "branch of the family".

• The daughter of my father's brother is my first cousin..........................................(1) .................................paternal

• The daughter of my mother's brother is my first cousin.......................................(2) .................................maternal
Are those two daughters "first-cousins"?

By the way - you write:
It wouldn't kill some people to react in a more considerate/compassionate matter, without making assumptions about others.
I understand several members possess remarkable mathematical acumen. However, that doesn't justify an elitist or haughty attitude .
I'm sure there are other walks of life they're yet to master, and would hate being treated similarly when approached as a complete beginner.
It takes courage to display humility, particularly when the Internet grows a tendency to grant illusions of greatness.
We are volunteers here - and each of us want to help "elevate" the level of knowledge in the student body. Nobody here - at least in this discussion has shown any "haughty" attitude. We want students to find the answer as opposed to given to them. Nobody - I mean nobody has any illusion of self-greatness.