Remarkable numbers

Thales12345

GIVEN: A strictly positive natural number n is "remarkable" if any strictly positive natural number less than or equal to n can be written as the sum of different divisors of n.
(Examples:
1 is remarkable
->1 = 1
2 is remarkable
->1 = 1
->2 = 2
4 is remarkable
->1 = 1
->2 = 2
->3 = 1 + 2
->4 = 4
6 is remarkable
->1 = 1
->2 = 2
->3 = 3
->4 = 1 + 3
->5 = 2 + 3
->6 = 6)

TO PROVE: 6^100 is remarkable

As I write out the sequence of numbers further, I quickly notice that every multiple of 6 belongs to the sequence. Is this sufficient as 'proof'?

No it is not a proof.

You have shown that 6 * 1 is remarkable. Therefore, there is a set of positive integers such that the product of 6 and a member of the set is "remarkable." Let k be a member of the set. Now prove that k + 1 is a member of the set

No it is not a proof.

You have shown that 6 * 1 is remarkable. Therefore, there is a set of positive integers such that the product of 6 and a member of the set is "remarkable." Let k be a member of the set. Now prove that k + 1 is a member of the set
I don't understand this very well. By 'member of the set' do you mean a number from the sequence of remarkable numbers?
If so, how do you prove that k + 1 is a member of the set when you have no numbers?

Or do you mean by 'member of the set' a divisor of a remarkable number?

You want to prove that every multiple of 6 is remarkable. All those can be expressed as 6n, a product of 6 and some integer.

You have proved that 6 = 6 * 1 is remarkable. Therefore there exists a NON-EMPTY set of positive integers such that each integer in the set when multiplied by 6 is remarkable. Right?

Let k be an arbitrary member of that set. So k is an integer [imath]\ge[/imath] 1 and 6k is remarkable.

Thus it is obvious that k + 1 is a positive integer. If you can show that 6(k + 1) is remarkable, then k + 1 is also a member of that set. Thus the set is the set of all positive integers. 1 is in it. So 1 + 1 = 2 is in it. Thus, 2 + 1 = 3 is in it. And so on forever.

It is called a proof by weak mathematical induction.

Okay, I see what you mean.
But, how do you show that 6(k+1) is remarkable?
We don't know what 'value' 6(k+1) has and the divisors are just 1, 2, 3, 6, k+1 , 2(k+1), 3(k+1) and 6(k+ 1).
Can we also just check here for all strictly positive natural numbers =<6(k+1) ?

Okay, I see what you mean.
But, how do you show that 6(k+1) is remarkable?
We don't know what 'value' 6(k+1) has and the divisors are just 1, 2, 3, 6, k+1 , 2(k+1), 3(k+1) and 6(k+ 1).
Can we also just check here for all strictly positive natural numbers =<6(k+1) ?
In your proof that 6(k+1) is remarkable you can use the assumption that 6k is remarkable. Are you familiar with proofs by induction?

In your proof that 6(k+1) is remarkable you can use the assumption that 6k is remarkable. Are you familiar with proofs by induction?
No not at all. I do understand JeffM's setup and what you can achieve with it, but I don't see how you can prove that a number is remarkable without knowing its divisors (without variables in it).

By the way, it may be true that all multiples of 6 are remarkable, but this is a more general statement than what the problem is asking to prove (which is 6^100). So maybe first try to prove that if 6^k is a remarkable number, than 6^(k+1) is also remarkable.

By the way, it may be true that all multiples of 6 are remarkable, but this is a more general statement than what the problem is asking to prove (which is 6^100). So maybe first try to prove that if 6^k is a remarkable number, than 6^(k+1) is also remarkable.
Can you explain to me how I can show that a number with a variable (so 6^k) is remarkable?

Actually, you are correct. We do not need to do a proof by induction. It is simpler than that.

[math]\text {Let } n \text { be any positive integer.}[/math]
[math]\text {Let } m \text { be any positive integer } \le 6n.[/math]
[math]\exists \text { integers } p \text { and } q \text { such that } 0 \le p \le 6,[/math]
[math]0 \le q \le 5, \text { and } m = pn + q.[/math]
[math]\text {Divisors of } 6n \text { include } 1,\ 2,\ 3,\ 6,\ n,\ 2n,\ 3n, \text {and } 6n.[/math]
[math]p = 1 \implies pn = n \implies m = n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 2 \implies pn = 2n \implies 2n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 3 \implies pn = 3n \implies m = 3n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 4 \implies pn = n + 3n \implies m = n + 3n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 5 \implies pn = 2n + 3n \implies m = 2n + 3n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 6 \implies pn = 6n \implies m = 6n.[/math]
[math]p = 0 \implies pn = 0 \implies m = q.[/math]
If q is zero, then m is the sum of divisors of n.

So the whole thing reduces to showing that q is the sum of divisors of n if q > 0.

[math]q = 1 \implies q \text { is a divisor of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 2 \implies q \text { is a divisor of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 3 \implies q \text { is a divisor of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 4 \implies q = 1 + 3, \text { divisors of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 5 \implies q = 2 + 3, \text { divisors of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
No matter what, m can be expressed as the sum of divisors of 6n.

But m is any positive integer less than or equal to 6n. So 6n is remarkable.

EDIT: This is kind of a clunky proof. Probably lev or someone can dream up a more elegant one. But it is just an elaboration of your demonstration that 6 itself is remarkable.

Last edited:
Actually, you are correct. We do not need to do a proof by induction. It is simpler than that.

[math]\text {Let } n \text { be any positive integer.}[/math]
[math]\text {Let } m \text { be any positive integer } \le 6n.[/math]
[math]\exists \text { integers } p \text { and } q \text { such that } 0 \le p \le 6,[/math]
[math]0 \le q \le 5, \text { and } m = pn + q.[/math]
[math]\text {Divisors of } 6n \text { include } 1,\ 2,\ 3,\ 6,\ n,\ 2n,\ 3n, \text {and } 6n.[/math]
[math]p = 1 \implies pn = n \implies m = n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 2 \implies pn = 2n \implies 2n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 3 \implies pn = 3n \implies m = 3n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 4 \implies pn = n + 3n \implies m = n + 3n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 5 \implies pn = 2n + 3n \implies m = 2n + 3n + q.[/math]
[math]p = 6 \implies pn = 6n \implies m = 6n.[/math]
[math]p = 0 \implies pn = 0 \implies m = q.[/math]
If q is zero, then m is the sum of divisors of n.

So the whole thing reduces to showing that q is the sum of divisors of n if q > 0.

[math]q = 1 \implies q \text { is a divisor of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 2 \implies q \text { is a divisor of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 3 \implies q \text { is a divisor of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 4 \implies q = 1 + 3, \text { divisors of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
[math]q = 5 \implies q = 2 + 3, \text { divisors of } n \implies m \text { a sum of divisors.}[/math]
No matter what, m can be expressed as the sum of divisors of 6n.

But m is any positive integer less than or equal to 6n. So 6n is remarkable.

EDIT: This is kind of a clunky proof. Probably lev or someone can dream up a more elegant one. But it is just an elaboration of your demonstration that 6 itself is remarkable.
We need to take into account the requirement that divisors are different. This can be done by stating that n>1 (n=1 is already handled in OP), then we know that 6n divisors you mentioned are all different. Other than that looks good.

We need to take into account the requirement that divisors are different. This can be done by stating that n>1 (n=1 is already handled in OP), then we know that 6n divisors you mentioned are all different. Other than that looks good.
@lev888 If we are not doing a proof by induction, I am missing your point. (Not disagreeing necessarily; just not understanding.)

@lev888 If we are not doing a proof by induction, I am missing your point. (Not disagreeing necessarily; just not understanding.)
"A strictly positive natural number n is "remarkable" if any strictly positive natural number less than or equal to n can be written as the sum of different divisors of n"
Therefore, when considering m=pn+q we need to make sure that pn and q sums use different divisors.

@lev888

You are completely correct: my so-called proof is invalid. It has to be invalid because the conjecture is false.

Consider 102 = 6 * 17 = 2 * 3 * 17. Clearly, 102 is a multiple of 6.

Its factors are 1, 2, 3, 6, 17, 34, 51, and 102.

Consider the number 16.

16 < 17 < 34 < 51 < 102. So no multiple of 17 can be a term in a sum of positive numbers equalling 16.

1 + 2 + 3 + 6 = 12 < 16.

Thus no sum of the factors of 6 can possibly equal 16.

Therefore, it is false that every multiple of 6 is a remarkable number.; 102 is counter-example.

In fact, every multiple of 6 and a prime greater than 13 is not a remarkable number.

@lev888

You are completely correct: my so-called proof is invalid. It has to be invalid because the conjecture is false.

Consider 102 = 6 * 17 = 2 * 3 * 17. Clearly, 102 is a multiple of 6.

Its factors are 1, 2, 3, 6, 17, 34, 51, and 102.

Consider the number 16.

16 < 17 < 34 < 51 < 102. So no multiple of 17 can be a term in a sum of positive numbers equalling 16.

1 + 2 + 3 + 6 = 12 < 16.

Thus no sum of the factors of 6 can possibly equal 16.

Therefore, it is false that every multiple of 6 is a remarkable number.; 102 is counter-example.

In fact, every multiple of 6 and a prime greater than 13 is not a remarkable number.
Can't accept the credit - I didn't think your proof was invalid, I thought it needed a small correction to account for that requirement.