Represent a function?

Dshizness_TOM

Can someone explain to me how someone can tell if the following data set can represent a function?

First, as lev888 implied, you need to know what a "function" is!
Second, you need to know what the numbers, as given, mean. Is the number on then left an "x" value and the number on the right, even though it is a row lower, a corresponding "y" value? Since there are an odd number, 5, of numbers that seems impossible.

Can someone explain to me how someone can tell if the following data set can represent a function?

Please show an image of the entire problem as given to you, so we can be sure of both the instructions and the format.

Please show an image of the entire problem as given to you, so we can be sure of both the instructions and the format.
I just posted an image of the actual problem(s) which are in question. Thank you so much for the attentiveness to the situation.

Where did you post it? I see nothing here.

Okay, it seems to be this, in your newer thread:

1588789776340.png

This appears to show a function (mapping) from the set {-1, 3, 8} to the set {4, 18}, which takes both -1 and 3 to 18, and 8 to 4. Note that the most important part is the arrows, which you omitted from your question.

Now, what have you learned about the definition of a function? Does this fit, or violate, the requirements?