Schrödinger Equation

mario99

[math]\left(\frac{1}{k}\frac{\partial}{\partial t} - \nabla^2\right)u(x,t) = f(x,t)[/math]
Find the steady state of Schrödinger equation subjected to the boundary and initial conditions.​

[math]u(x,t) \rightarrow 0 \ \text{as} \ |x| \rightarrow \infty, \ \ \ t > 0[/math]
[math]u(x,0) = f(x), \ \ \ -\infty < x < \infty[/math]
[math]\text{where} \ k = \frac{i\hbar}{2m}[/math]
The final solution is.​

[math]u(x,t) = \frac{1 - i}{2\sqrt{2\pi bt}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(y) e^{i(x - y)^2/(4bt)} \ dy[/math]

First obstacle.
When I am asked to find the steady state, I get rid of the time variable [imath]t[/imath] and I solve the equation normally. But in this problem, the boundary, initial conditions, and the final solution suggests that time is part of the solution. Why?

Second obstacle.
If I assume that I solved the problem with taking time into account, the solution would be in terms of summation, not integrals. This is another problem.

Third obstacle.
Do I have to assume [imath]f(x,t) = 0[/imath], in the steady state equation? Or do I have to expand it? And why is the domain of [imath]x[/imath] not fixed between two points?

Fourth obstacle.
Why does the final solution contain the variable [imath]y[/imath] and the constant [imath]b[/imath] (may be variable) while they are not part of the main problem?

What is happening in this Schrödinger equation? Everything looks awkward.