Simple math

Newbie1990

I'm getting 110
Can someone explain in detail

Attachments

• IMG-20200220-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20200220-WA0017.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
You have it backwards. Can you please tell us how you would/did do the problem and if you need help then we will guide you to the solution

Answer this first: If there are now 120 students and there are twice as many boys than girls than how many girls are in this group of 120?

I'm getting 110
Can someone explain in detail
Can you explain why you post an unreadable image?
Why not simply type out the question with which you need help?
That way we all can read it and help you.

By posting in "Odds and Ends," you have denied us the chance to craft help that will correlate with what you are studying. If I have to guess, it looks like a beginning algebra problem. Please post in the most appropriate forum in the future.

Assuming you are studying algebra, start by writing down symbols for each numerical quantity that may become relevant. For example,

[MATH]b = \text {number of boys.}[/MATH]
[MATH]g = \text {original number of girls.}[/MATH]
[MATH]r = \text {girls remaining after midday.}[/MATH]
With three unknowns, you will need three independent and consistent equations to find them.

What are those equations?

Here is the problem:

There were 190 children at a water park. Seventy girls left before midday.​
The number of boys was then twice the number of girls. How many girls were there before midday?​

My difficulty is in interpretation: Since the girls left before midday, and we are asked how many there were before midday, it is not clear whether the latter means before or after they left! (Or maybe some left at 10:00, more left at 11:30, and we want the number at 11:00.) But I'll read it the only sensible way, as asking for the original number of girls.

There are, of course, many ways you could do this. You evidently recognize that at midday there are 120 children. One way to handle the second line is to think about what fraction of the total are now girls. If that is not obvious to you, you could sketch a picture.