Slope of a lline

michaelcaba

If a line intersects the x axis at -3 and the y axis at 4, the slope is 4/3, correct? My textbook says 3/4! Please help. Thank you.

Once again, MarkFL comes to my aid! Would you like to see a copy of the page and the answer sheet? I can upload.

Once again, MarkFL comes to my aid! Would you like to see a copy of the page and the answer sheet? I can upload.

I believe that you've copied the problem and answer correctly, but if you want to upload it that's fine. I was always careful as a student because when I found my answer disagreed with the given answer, much more often than not, I had made the mistake. But it does happen that errors slip by in published material.

See attached. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Slope of a Lline.pdf
    561.9 KB · Views: 13
If a line intersects the x axis at -3 and the y axis at 4, the slope is 4/3, correct? My textbook says 3/4! .
Here is the most under-utilized fact in basic lessons on lines.
If \((a,0)~\&~(0,b) \) are respectively the \(x~\&~y\) intercepts and if \(a\cdot b\ne 0\) of a line \(\ell\)
then \(\ell\) is \(\dfrac {x}{a}+\dfrac {y}{b}=1\)

Here is the most under-utilized fact in basic lessons on lines.
If \((a,0)~\&~(0,b) \) are respectively the \(x~\&~y\) intercepts and if \(a\cdot b\ne 0\) of a line \(\ell\)
then \(\ell\) is \(\dfrac {x}{a}+\dfrac {y}{b}=1\)
Thanks you. Did you check out the textbook question and answer posted above?

Thanks you. Did you check out the textbook question and answer posted above?
Did you notice that #1 is not the only wrong answer there?

One error doesn't surprise me (though it is discouraging); two so close together is a very bad sign for the publisher.

No, I only glanced thru the book and found the one error. Which of the other ones is wrong?

PS: I am returning the book!

My oh my! You are correct about #5. I am posting this info, including the attached scan, as a review on Amazon. This is discouraging as it is a study book to help people take the CLEP College Algebra test. They have an app too, that maintains at least the one error I found! I don't mind for myself so much, I am an almost retiree who is just going back and taking math classes for fun; so it's not dangerous to me. But the kids! Yikes.