Solve this ("A 35mm diameter steel cable caries a mine skip to a depth of a 625m. The mass of the skip is equal to...")

Chamath Egodage

1. A 35mm diameter steel cable caries a mine skip to a depth of a 625m. The mass of the skip is equal to the mass of the 625m length of a cable. The unit mass of the steel cable is 7.85 x 103kg/m3. The cable unwind from the surface. Calculate the extension in

a) The full length of the cable.

b) When the cable is extended for half of its length (present the answers in ‘mm”)

Assume E for steel cable = 210,000 N/mm2 and use g = 10 ms-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you solve this

Probably. But, as you read in the "Read Before Posting" message that you read before posting, we don't "do" students' homework for them. Instead, we require the student to provide his/her thoughts and efforts so far, so that the helpers can see where things are going sideways.

Kindly please reply with that information. Thank you.

1. A 35mm diameter steel cable caries a mine skip to a depth of a 625m. The mass of the skip is equal to the mass of the 625m length of a cable. The unit mass of the steel cable is 7.85 x 103kg/m3. The cable unwind from the surface. Calculate the extension in

a) The full length of the cable.

b) When the cable is extended for half of its length (present the answers in ‘mm”)

Assume E for steel cable = 210,000 N/mm2 and use g = 10 ms-2
For part (a)

What is the total "gravitational" force ( cable + skip) acting on the cable , when the skip has traveled the full depth of the mine?

Now calculate the stress in the due to the load (calculated above)?

Assuming elastic behavior - use Hooke's Law to calculate the strain.?

Using the definition of strain - calculate the strain.

For part (b) - Repeat the steps above with the "changed" initial length of the cable.