Solving system of equations with elimination

Andrew Rubin

I am doing a course in matrix methods, and I am currently working on solving system of equations by elimination. Pedagogically, I have attended better courses. Due to lack of explanation of concrete steps, I am stuck and hopefully some of you may help me.

We are to solve a system of equations with a vector [MATH]\textbf{x}[/MATH] of unknowns:

1. [MATH]1x_{1} + 10x_{2} + 9x_{3} = 23[/MATH]2. [MATH]7x_{1} + 7x_{2} + 1x_{3} = 35[/MATH]3. [MATH]7x_{1} + 8x_{2} + 1x_{3} = 37[/MATH]
We are told that we will eliminate the variables one-by-one.

Step 1 is to multiply eq. 1 with -7 and add results to eq. 2 and eq. 3:

1. [MATH](-7)\cdot1x_{1} + (-7)\cdot10\cdot(-7)x_{2} + (-7)\cdot9x_{3} = (-7)\cdot23[/MATH]
1. [MATH]=-7x_{1} + -70x_{2} + -63x_{3} = -161 [/MATH]
We have now eliminated [MATH]x_{1}[/MATH] in eq. 2 and 3:

2. [MATH]-63x_{2} + -63x_{3} = -126[/MATH]3. [MATH]-62x_{2} + -63x_{3} = -124[/MATH]
*Here comes the my two questions*

We are told that step 2 is to "take eq. 2 and add a multiple of it to eq. 3 to eliminate [MATH]x_{2}[/MATH]". Out of nowhere, we are told to add [MATH]-62/63[/MATH] times eq. 2 to eq. 3 to eliminate [MATH]x_{2}[/MATH]. I do not understand why exactly this number is chosen, and my attempt at solving this is not correct:

3. [MATH](-62/63)\cdot(-63)x_{2}+(-62)x_{2} + (-62/63)\cdot(-63)x_{3}+(-63)x_{3} = (-62/63)\cdot(-126)+(-124)[/MATH]3. [MATH] = 0x_{2} + (-1)x_{3} = 0[/MATH]
In the course, this is the result:

1583939454281.png

After this result, we continue with back-solving the system of equations, starting with [MATH]-62/63x_{3}=0[/MATH]. Since I am unable to understand the second step, I am currently stuck.

To sum up:

Q1: How do we determine that [MATH]-62/63[/MATH] is correct here?
Q2: What am I doing wrong in step 2?

Last edited:
3. (−62/63)⋅(−63)+(−62)x2...
You lost variables of eq. 2. It should be (−62/63)⋅(−63)x2 + ...
The idea here is to get x2 with a coefficient of equal abs value and opposite sign as the one in eq 3, so that x2 is eliminated if we add the equations.

Also, why bother with (−62/63) if we can eliminate x3 just by subtracting the equations?

You lost variables of eq. 2. It should be (−62/63)⋅(−63)x2 + ...
The idea here is to get x2 with a coefficient of equal abs value and opposite sign as the one in eq 3, so that x2 is eliminated if we add the equations.

Also, why bother with (−62/63) if we can eliminate x3 just by subtracting the equations?
Thanks! I edited it so it should be correct now. I do not understand the reasoning behind choosing [MATH](-62/63)[/MATH], nor am I sure about the concrete steps in subtraction of the equations. Would you mind describing this? I have seen multiple online step-by-step calculators that arrive at correct results as the course example, but I would like to understand the exact thinking of the instructor as I am only halfway through the course.

This is a problem that I have with how some teachers teach algebra. It is excellent for a student to know how to solve a linear equation but it is important for a student to know how to come up with a linear equation when they need one. This last part is usually not taught.

So you have -63x2 and want it to become 62x2.

That is you want to know what to multiply -63 by to get 62. This leads to the equation -63x = 62 and the answer is x=-62/63.

Now I would not solve your problem that way. If I was insistent on eliminating x2, instead of introducing fractions I would multiply the top equation by 62 and the bottom equation by 63.

Of course the easiest way to proceed at this point is to eliminate x3

Last edited:
Thanks! I edited it so it should be correct now. I do not understand the reasoning behind choosing [MATH](-62/63)[/MATH], nor am I sure about the concrete steps in subtraction of the equations. Would you mind describing this? I have seen multiple online step-by-step calculators that arrive at correct results as the course example, but I would like to understand the exact thinking of the instructor as I am only halfway through the course.
Please look up a tutorial on youtube, etc. E.g. Khan Academy.

This is a problem that I have with how teachers teach algebra. It is excellent for a student to know how to solve a linear equation but it is important for a student to know how to come up with a linear equation when they need one. This last part is usually not taught.

So you have -63x2 and want it to become 62x2.

That is you want to know what to multiply -63 by to get 62. This leads to the equation -63x = 62 and the answer is x=-62/63.

Now I would not solve your problem that way. If I was insistent on eliminating x2, instead of introducing fractions I would multiply the top equation by 62 and the bottom equation by 63.

Of course the easiest way to proceed at this point is to eliminate x3
Wow, thanks for the good explanation! Seemed to be a leap there that was not mentioned (maybe the instructor assumes a higher understanding than I am currently at).

Now I appreciate why we use [MATH]-62/63[/MATH] and the idea of getting coefficients of equal value with opposite sign. To really proceed, it would be very helpful with input on how eq. 3 should be changed to arrive at the same result as the course instructor.

1st of all you do NOT have to get the coefficients of equal value with opposite sign. They can be the same sign! You then just subtract instead of adding!

I am not sure what you are asking about eq 3 (you also have more than one equation named 3 !!)

1st of all you do NOT have to get the coefficients of equal value with opposite sign. They can be the same sign! You then just subtract instead of adding!

I am not sure what you are asking about eq 3 (you also have more than one equation named 3 !!)
Ok, thanks for the clarification. My question concerns getting step 2 correct:

After eliminating [MATH]x_{1}[/MATH] in eq. 2 and eq. 3, we proceed to eliminate [MATH]x_{2}[/MATH] in eq. 3. The proposed solution is to take eq. 2 and add a multiple of it to eq. 3, and the proposed solution is to use [MATH](-62/63)[/MATH]. However, when I follow this procedure I get:

3. [MATH] (−62/63)⋅(−63)x_{2}+(−62)x_{2}+(−62/63)⋅(−63)x_{3}+(−63)x_{3}=(−62/63)⋅(−126)+(−124) \implies 0x_{2}+(−1)x_{3}=0[/MATH]
I think the rest of the solving process makes sense both before and after this point, but I am currently not finding a good solution to this.

For the life of me I cannot see why some still worship busywork.
LOOK HERE. At least final answers can be checked.