[SPLIT] invested $ in savings, 3 times $ in mutual fund

MarqD19

Anthony invested a certain amount of money into a savings account, and invested 3 times that amount into a mutual fund. If after one year the savings account earned 5% interest and the mutual fund earned 11% interest, and the total interest earned from the two investments was $152, how much did Anthony initially invest in each? To earn credit, you must construct an algebraic equation with a variable and solve using algebra steps. These word problems have my head spinning, somone please help!! :mrgreen:

Please Do Not Interrupt Others' Conversations ...

MarqD19 said:
Anthony invested a certain amount of money into a savings account, and invested 3 times that amount into a mutual fund. If after one year the savings account earned 5% interest and the mutual fund earned 11% interest, and the total interest earned from the two investments was $152, how much did Anthony initially invest in each? To earn credit, you must construct an algebraic equation with a variable and solve using algebra steps. These word problems have my head spinning, somone please help!! :mrgreen:

Hello Marq:

Please post this question as a New Topic on the Beginning Algebra board.

Cheers,

~ Mark :)

MarqD19 said:

Please share with us your work/thoughts (other than the fact that your head is spinning) - pointing out exactly where you are stuck - so that we know where to begin to help you.

To start off, start naming things - i.e. - variables:

how much did Anthony initially invest in each?

Let

the amount of Anthony's investment in 5% interest account = S

the amount of Anthony's investment in Mutual fund M = 3*S

Now continue....