[SPLIT] solving 3/4n + 16 = 2 - 1/8n

Christapher

Hi, I could not figure out how to post a question except by replying. I did read your please read first, but the only way I know how to get help for my son is to post the problem. Due to a few mishaps at school today he missed most of his math class. He is having problem with one problem and I do not know how to help him so there is no work that he has done to show you.
the problem is as follows: 3/4n+16=2-1/8n. could you please tell me how to do this problem so I might help my son. Thank you
d.ash

Re: Read Before Posting

To start your own thread, click on "NEWTOPIC".

For your problem, start by multiplying each term by 8; that clears the fractions:
6n + 128 = 16 - n

You ok now?
If not, we don't "teach" here: no classroom.

Christapher said:
Hi, I could not figure out how to post a question except by replying.
To post a new topic, go to the front page of the appropriate category and click the "New Topic" button.

Christapher said:
...my son...missed most of his math class.... I do not know how to help him.... could you please tell me how to do this problem so I might help my son.
Unfortunately, attempting to work through a "translator" who doesn't actually "speak the language" does not tend to end happily. Please have your child reply (or dictate a reply) with clarification of what the exercise is (using the formatting that was explained in the links you saw in the "Read Before Posting" thread) and a clear listing of his thoughts and reasoning so far. (This material gets covered over many days in the K-12 setting, so missing part of one lecture would not leave him utterly flummoxed unless he has missed much more than just this one day. Plus, he has his textbook, and you have no doubt made sure that he's kept up with the class.)

Once he provides this information, we will have some idea of the sort of equation he is needing to solve, and where he might be having difficulties. Then we will be in a position to provide assistance.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.