[SPLIT] solving rational eqns: x / 2x - 4 - 2 = 1 / x - 2

iPwn

I'm still getting tripped up on questions like this:

x / 2x - 4 - 2 = 1 / x - 2

The LCD is 2x - 4, correct?

so I then get x - 4x + 8 = x - 2

Well then I end up with x= 10 / 4. The answer is no solution because one of the denominators would be 0, but 10/4 doesn't make either 0 that I can see. I think I'm totally lost.

Okay when you find out the LCD you have to figure out what would make each denominator the LCD and multiply that # by the top eliminating the denominators right????

iPwn said:
I'm still getting tripped up on questions like this:

x / 2x - 4 - 2 = 1 / x - 2
The above means this:

. . . . .(x)/(2x) - 4 - 2 = (1)/(x) - 2

But I think you mean the following:

. . . . .(x) / (2x - 4) - 2 = (1) / (x - 2)

iPwn said:
The LCD is 2x - 4, correct?
If my guess (above) is correct, then yes.

iPwn said:
so I then get x - 4x + 8 = x - 2
How? What did you do? What were your steps?

I will guess that you multiplied through by the LCM, so:

. . . . .(2x - 4) [ x / (2x - 4) ] - 2(2x - 4) = (2x - 4) [ 1 / (x - 2) ]

. . . . .x - 2(2x) - 2(-4) = 2(x - 2)[ 1 / (x - 2) ]

. . . . .x - 4x + 8 = 2

. . . . .8 - 3x = 2

. . . . .6 = 3x

...and so forth.

iPwn said:
Okay when you find out the LCD you have to figure out what would make each denominator the LCD and multiply that # by the top eliminating the denominators right????
I'm sorry, but I don't know what this means. Please reply with clarification.

Thank you.

Eliz.

I see...I never write everything fully out because it takes too long and is annoying, but I just did it writing everything down like you did and I think it makes more sense... a bit...

Heh I have a few more questions after tonight's lesson but I'm too tired to even look at it right now.

Thanks a lot.

iPwn said:
I see...I never write everything fully out because it takes too long and is annoying,....
Well bud, if you want help, you BETTER start writing out fully :shock:

Yeah....It's just I would have avoided the situation of needing help in the first place if I had done it the long way :)

I miss high school. In high school we'd spend a week on each thing and then I could easily churn out problems. Now it's like you cover 3 weeks of high school stuff in one night and you only get to spend a little time with each section and if you screw one thing up you screw it all up.

They just write stuff on the board and it's like "This is how you do it, now write this down and figure it out on your own time"... Not cool :(