The 1% Club, 30th April

The Highlander

This week's 1% Club Show questions

Remember: Participants are only allowed 30 seconds to come up with an answer, however, since the presenter reads out the question after it’s displayed but before the timer starts, I think it is reasonable to allow yourself 33 seconds after you click on the ‘Reveal’ button before timing yourself out. ?

Only three people posted their attempts at last week’s show ? so it would appear that interest may be waning in this item. I was, therefore, only going to post the three “hardest” questions but a few others made me think they were worthwhile uploading (not necessarily because I found them ‘difficult’ but, in some cases, for other reasons that prompted me to do so).

In fact, this week’s questions all appear to have been easier than previous weeks’! I say that because I managed to answer them all correctly except that there was one where I got the right answer (before it was revealed) but only after the thirty seconds had elapsed!

Here are my timings for (all of) the questions on this week’s show:-
90% 10s
80% 10s
70% 17s
60% 6s
50% 29s
45% 21s
40% 15s
35% 16s
30% 35s
25% 10s
20% 22s
15% 11s
10% 12s
5% 14s
1% 3s
So, since they appear to running out of really testing puzzles, I guess it’s just a matter of seeing whether you can improve on my timings. ?

Answers on Monday/Tuesday. ?

Enjoy.

Example Question (part of the show's introduction):-
There was no Example Question provided this week. Suited me fine because those have stumped me every week to date!
I maintain these have all been set at the 1% level (and I’ll fight with anyone who disagrees! ?)

The 50% Question:-
I included this one because I nearly ran out of time working my way through all the options but managed to identify the correct one just on the 29 seconds mark. ?

50-Q.png

The 30% Question:-
This is the only one where I didn’t get the right answer within the 30 seconds. I did come up with an answer (that turned out to be correct) but only after 35s on my stopwatch. ?

30-Q.png

The 25% Question:-
It only took me 10 seconds to get the right answer here but I’m sure many in here will get it much quicker than that!

25-Q.png

The reason I took as long as 10s was because I calculated the areas and then, given how simple that was, re-read the question!

When one contestant (who got it right) was asked what his job was, he said he had been a primary school teacher and, while explaining how he got it right, commented: "Well, we do a bit of Maths. Know the difference between a quadrilateral and a square." (I strongly suspect he meant to say: “rectangle”! But, either way....)
Hence the reason why, when they come up to high school, we have to disabuse them of the notion that a square is not a rectangle! ?

When I was in primary school my teachers had the good sense to call a non-square rectangle an oblong. Happy days! ?

However, that said, this guy made it right to the end and answered the 1% question correctly for a share of £93,000 (but when asked to quickly calculate half of 93, he stumbled: "Er... Forty … er?" ?)

The 20% Question:-
I decided on my answer (which agreed with theirs) after 22s (as I didn’t want to run out of time). However, although their answer was the same their reasoning was entirely different from mine. I would argue mine was just as valid, however, but, if you post an 'answer' to this question, it would be helpful(?) if you put both your answer and your reasoning into the Spoiler. ?

20-Q.png

The 10% Question:-
Easy-peasy, for the folks in here (took me all of 12s); I have only included it because it was the 10% question.

10-Q.png

The 5% Question:-
This one took me a little bit longer (14s) but, again, wasn’t particularly testing.

5-Q.png

The 1% Question:-
This was the fastest (
?3s?) I got any question but I have to admit that it was, doubtless, because, quite fortuitously, I posted the “explanation” for it quite recently in another thread! ?

1-Q.png

PS: Two contestants made it through to the 1% question; the Primary Teacher and another man (who claimed Maths was his forte). Both opted to try for it and both got it right, winning a half share of £93k. Both also stated their reasoning (same as mine) before the answer was given, so I guess they just happened to be lucky enough to be in possession of the same piece of trivia that I posted elsewhere in the Forum recently. ?

EIGHT because I comes after H
Bring up the bodies. The first words of the book titles
A. The only square
20% No idea what's the first picture is
Ball= 0.05, Bat= 1.05
HE -> HER -> HERO-> ??
No idea for the 1%

EIGHT because I comes after H
Bring up the bodies. The first words of the book titles
A. The only square
Ball= 0.05, Bat= 1.05
HE -> HER -> HERO-> ??
No idea for the 1%
Pitted Olive??

20% No idea what's the first picture is (See above.)
No idea for the 1%
Ah, now if you had read the remainder of the posts in the original The 1% Club thread (in particular my response to Otis' attempts at the questions) you would have got the 1% question instantly! ??

(Your failure to complete the answer to the 5% question runs the risk of you being accused of being sexist! ?)

This week I watched the show live on TV (I'm based in the UK).

My family watched it with me, and it turned into a challenge where we all tried to be the first one to shout the answer out. I managed to be the first several times :sneaky: The disadvantage of this is that I don't know if there are any questions that I wouldn't have got the answer to (with the 4 of us watching every question was answered within time). I have to say it was a fun family activity, and we might end up doing this again with this Saturday's show. If I ever miss it then I could "catch up" if you've posted the questions, but I'll probably aim to watch it again (at least until the kids get fed up with it and vote to have Marvel films etc ).

I normally force them to watch "The Chase" on TV midweek. That show has a very good number of questions per minute (general knowledge).

(Your failure to complete the answer to the 5% question runs the risk of you being accused of being sexist!
I cheated and looked up the dictionary. It's heroine. It sounded like the drug heroin. I didn't know that word existed. ?

I think hero is now considered by many to be gender neutral, and therefore @AvgStudent is probably less sexist (and more modern) than whoever wrote the question :)

Rather than "the first four <letters> are a great man" it might have been better to write "the first four are a great person, and the whole word specifies a great woman".

Actually the 25% one was a memorable one that I didn't get. I didn't fully read the question :rolleyes::LOL:

I think hero is now considered by many to be gender neutral, and therefore @AvgStudent is probably less sexist (and more modern) than whoever wrote the question :)

Rather than "the first four <letters> are a great man" it might have been better to write "the first four are a great person, and the whole word specifies a great woman".
Yes, I grew up with woman superheroes like Captain Marvel and WonderWoman. I've never heard anyone call them superheroines. LOL

I cheated and looked up the dictionary. It's heroine. It sounded like the drug heroin. I didn't know that word existed. ?
Ahh, so I take it that, presumably, English is not your first language? I would never have known that from other posts of yours that I have read. ?
However, I feel bound to add that, having had further thoughts regarding my comment about you risking being accused of sexism (because you didn’t include “heroine”), it’s actually quite possible that some might argue entirely the opposite!
So many of our (English) nouns, that possess feminine gender, are being forced out of modern speech altogether!
For example, it’s apparently no longer “PC” to refer to a woman (or anyone who identifies as such) as an actress or a comedienne or a poetess or a waitress and so on, though I do believe that princesses still wish to retain that distinction (for the time being at least)! ?

Edit: Drafted & posted before I saw your & @Cubist's (very PC) subsequent exchanges. ?

Last edited:
The 1% Club, 30th April: Answers

I didn’t post the answers to last Saturday’s questions on the following Monday (as promised) because there had been no posts in the thread.

It would appear that interest in these logic "puzzles" has waned to the point where it doesn’t seem worthwhile uploading any further extracts from the show.

Nevertheless, since at least one person made an attempt at the questions and others may view the thread in future and want confirmation of the correct answers, I feel obliged to post the screengrabs of answers I took the trouble to get and upload to
imgbb. (Useless b. site that regularly fails to 'allow' uploading! ?)

I will need to give some further consideration as to whether it’s worth the bother of getting any more screengrabs from future shows but the answers, meantime, are posted below.

In case anyone visiting this thread for the first time might wish to try the questions before seeing the answers, I have included both the question and the answer (under separate ‘Spoiler” buttons) for their convenience.

The 50% Question:-
I included this one because I nearly ran out of time working my way through the options but managed to identify the correct one just on the 29 seconds mark.

50-Q.png
50-A.png
The 30% Question:-
This is the only one where I didn’t get the right answer within the 30 seconds. I did come up with an answer (that turned out to be correct) but only after 35s on my stopwatch.

30-Q.png
30-A.png
The 25% Question:-
It only took me 10 seconds to get the right answer here; I’m sure many in here will get it much quicker than that!

25-Q.png
25-A.png
The reason I took as long as 10s was because I calculated the areas and then, given how simple that was, re-read the question!

The 20% Question:-
I “decided” on my final answer (which agreed with theirs) after 22s (as I didn’t want to run out of time). However, although their answer was the same their reason was entirely different from mine.

20-Q.png
20-A.png
I would argue my reasoning (naturally occurring vs manufactured, ie: the table) was just as valid as theirs. So feel free to give yourself a “success” if you come up with any other reasonable explanation.

The 10% Question:-
Easy-peasy, for the folks in here (took me all of 12s); only included it because it was the 10% question.

10-Q.png
10-A.png

The 5% Question:-
This one took me a little bit longer (14s) but, again, wasn’t particularly testing.

5-Q.png
5-A.png

The 1% Question:-
This was the fastest I got any question (3s) but I have to admit that that was because, quite fortuitously, I posted the “explanation” for it quite recently in another thread!

1-Q.png
1-A.png

because it is the only word in the list with all 5 vowels in alphabetical order

True story!! I posted that at the same time The Highlander posted!
I also posted the following:-

"I was really just being facetious (good word that; one of a very few that contain all the vowels
in their correct order ?) when I suggested you might be angling for extra time on the puzzles"

in the original The 1% Club thread. That's how @Cubist impressed the H*ll out of his whole family by getting the correct answer in under 3 seconds when they watched the show live last Saturday! ?