The Cup Problem

hallewiblen

Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out the different probabilities of winning in an activity I completed.

There are four cups with one cup having money underneath it. If four people chose a cup, one after another, what is the probability that each person would choose the cup with the money underneath it.

For example, if person 1 does not select the right cup, then person 2 will select another cup, and if person 2 selects the right cup, the activity is over.

I believe that each person has an equal chance to win (25%).

My logic of this is:
  • Person 1 has a 1/4 chance of winning.
  • Person 2 then has a 1/4 chance of winning as that is the product of person 1's chance of losing (3/4) and person 2's chance of choosing the right cup (1/3).
  • Person 3 then has a 1/4 chance of winning as that is the product of person 1's chance of losing (3/4) and person 2's chance of losing (2/3) and person 3's chance of choosing the right cup (1/2).
  • Person 4 then has a 1/4 chance of winning as that is the product of person 1's chance of losing (3/4) and person 2's chance of losing (2/3) and person 3's chance of losing (1/2) and person 4's chance of choosing the right cup (1).
However, I am unsure if this is the correct answer and I would like either confirmation of this or an explanation of the correct answer.

Thank you!