The sum of the squares of 2 pos. cons. integers is 100.

CMouser

Stumped :?: Can anyone help me with this. The sum of the squares of 2 positive consecutive integers is 100 what are the integers. Thanks

Are you sure that isn't the sum of the squares of 2 positive even integers?.

Consecutive integers... not possible.

You can test for yourself on a calculator: the highest consecutive integers you can use are: neither equal 100.

6^2 + 7^2 which = 85

or

7^2 + 8^2 = 113

CMouser said:
yes. i'm positive. Thank you
Then the problem has no solution.
One of n or n+1 is even and the other is odd.
So one of n<SUP>2</SUP> or (n+1)<SUP>2</SUP> is even and the other is odd.
If you add an even with an odd, you get an odd. But 100 is even.

I am sorry I think it is the sum of the square 2 even consecutive integers that equals 100 I Have no idea how to even set this up My book does not give any examples Any help would be greatly appreciated

CMouser said:
I am sorry I think it is the sum of the square 2 even consecutive integers....
As has been demonstrated by previous replies, without a correct statement of the exercise, there may be no answer and, even if there is an answer, it may not be the correct one.

Please copy the text of the exercise, word for word, from the assignment.

When you reply, please use what you've been shown (for instance, in pka's latest reply) and provide a clear listing of everything you've tried so far.

Thank you.

Eliz.

CMouser said:
I am sorry I think it is the sum of the square 2 even consecutive integers that equals 100 I Have no idea how to even set this up My book does not give any examples Any help would be greatly appreciated

You're not seeing the forest for the trees. Think about it. What two even integers when squared equal 100?. There are not many integers to try. You can only go up to 9. Let x equal an even integer and let x+2 be the next even integer.

\(\displaystyle \L (x + 2)^2 = x^2 + 2x + 4\)

thanks I know from
calculations that the 2 integers are 6 and 8 but i am having trouble showing the
steps to get the answer