Tink Tank Doh!

topsquark

Common sense suggests that the fuel tank is horizontal. It's part of the truck.

[imath]\;[/imath]
But what if the truck is parked on a hill? :)

-Dan

Addendum: Parked on a hill, in an earthquake, whilst a large meteor flies overhead, Yellowstone erupts, and Venus is in the 6th House.

Common sense suggests that the fuel tank is horizontal. It's part of the truck.

[imath]\;[/imath]
Calculating volume of fluid in a partially filled horizontal tank is quite difficult. I doubt that, that was the intent of the op. Nice You-tube Video here - "youtube.com/watch?v=kD9Jt64TjlM"

Last edited by a moderator:
Then the exercise is unanswerable as posted. Hence, it's safe to assume that the tank's position is horizontal. ;)

[imath]\;[/imath]
There is just too much to read into this problem. I had an interview problem that was missing major pieces like this problem, just more severe. I was the last one being interviewed and they looked at me strangely when I said the problem could not be done when all the other candidates could solve the problem. After explaining why the problem was flawed they all put their heads down, agreed that I was correct and ultimately did NOT offer me the job.

There is just too much to read into this problem. I had an interview problem that was missing major pieces like this problem, just more severe. I was the last one being interviewed and they looked at me strangely when I said the problem could not be done when all the other candidates could solve the problem. After explaining why the problem was flawed they all put their heads down, agreed that I was correct and ultimately did NOT offer me the job.
Yes, one of the problems I've seen with my students is that they were starting by assuming the problem was hard. "How can two steel balls rolling toward each other fly off at an angle when they hit?" Well, they didn't hit straight on. "But the problem didn't say that. How do we change the problem so that they are off center? We didn't discuss that in class." Sometimes I just have to say "Ugh!"

-Dan

There is just too much to read into this problem … missing major pieces
Hi Steven. What are the major pieces that you believe are missing from the exercise statement? The scenario seems straightforward, to me. (I had noticed the sloppiness of "it was 1/3 high", although I think the intended meaning is clear enough).

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

Calculating volume of fluid in a partially filled horizontal tank is quite difficult.
If we're allowed to use any methods of choice, then I disagree that the given exercise is "quite difficult".

Having said that, I sure hope my answer is correct. :LOL:

[imath]\;[/imath]

You ought to know that I'm currently not free to post an answer today. It has not yet been 30 days!

:p

[imath]\;[/imath]
Touche'!! waiting for the great reveal on August 16 then.......

I've got an answer too. I made use of the "proportional to" symbol ∝ to reduce the amount of working out :sneaky:

Touche'!! waiting for the great reveal on August 16 then.......
...this could be the longest three way showdown since the end of, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" :ROFLMAO:

( I reckon I'm the Ugly ? ;) )

I've got an answer too. I made use of the "proportional to" symbol ∝ to reduce the amount of working out :sneaky:

...this could be the longest three way showdown since the end of, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" :ROFLMAO:

( I reckon I'm the Ugly ? ;) )
Now I am waiting for the whistling tune......