Trying to solve type of function, growth rate, initial value and equation for 2 problems

Andwhitt

Trying to help my senior out. I have no clue how to even start to help. If someone can solve and show me how to calculate would be awesome

13, 20, 27, 34, 41.......
Type of function, growth rate, initial value and equation.

XY

Trying to help my senior out. I have no clue how to even start to help. If someone can solve and show me how to calculate would be awesome

XY
The person whom you are trying to help should post this and let us know exactly where we can begin to help

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

For #1, tell the student to look at the difference between successive numbers.

For #2, tell the student to look at the ratio of successive Ys.

Last edited by a moderator:
The person whom you are trying to help should post this and let us know exactly where we can begin to help

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem
I READ BEFORE POSTING. He has no idea how to start figuring this out. As this is why I am trying to help him. I have no idea to how to even start to solve.

For #1, tell the student to look at the difference between successive numbers.

For #2, tell the student to look at the ratio of successive Ys.
Tell him to answer two questions posed above.

If he cannot then he does not have the mathematical background to understand the solutions to these problems.

XY
He has no idea how to start figuring this out. As this is why I am trying to help him. I have no idea to how to even start to solve.
If I were helping in person, I would ask to see what examples have been given, and what has been taught about types of growth. (What names were they given? That can vary! And was the word "sequence" used, or just "function"?)

Something must have been taught that can help in getting started. Was anything said about how to recognize, say, linear growth and exponential growth (or whatever types were taught), or about the kind of formulas that describe them? If the ideas of common difference and common ratio were not mentioned, what was?

One alternative approach is just to guess, if it were this form and the first two values were 13 and 20, what the next value would be, or what the formula would look like. Does that match the data? What if it were the other form?

Do you see that in order to help, we really need to know what has been taught? So do you!

If the person you are trying to help has no textbook, no notes, and no memory of lessons, you may have to search for whatever terms you think might be involved.

Literally plot the points out on a graph paper/desmos calculator and connect them.

I did it on Desmos and it looks like an exponential graph to me. Maybe you could work on it from there.

1651377964319.png1651377964319.png

He has no idea how to start figuring this out.
What topic is s/he being taught in his/her class now? What type of example problems that was shown to him/her, just prior to this assignment?

We want to help him/her to collect ideas from his/her class-notes/textbook - so that s/he would get the idea of to start figuring this out independently.

These are fairly simple problems, once s/he can organize his/her "previously acquired knowledge".

Why isn't s/he answering my queries ?

For #1, tell the student to look at the difference between successive numbers. - What is/are the difference/s?

For #2, tell the student to look at the ratio of successive Ys. - What is/are the ratio/s?

This is what he has come up with so far....

Attachments

• IMG_4235.jpg
    IMG_4235.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 2