What am i doing wrong: solve a fraction for a specific variable

bobisaka

Solve the equation for the variable b.

A = 1/2 h (b+B)
2/1*A = 2/1*1/2 h(b+B)
2A = h(b+B)
2A = bh+Bh
2A-Bh = bh <-----This is where I am stuck.

The only solution i can come up with, is that it is a muliplication for both variables on both sides, which needs to be inversed in order to get b by itself...

2A-Bh / h = bh / h

cross out the h i get:

2A-B = b

The real answer should be:

2A-Bh/h = b

Solve the equation for the variable b.

A = 1/2 h (b+B)
2/1*A = 2/1*1/2 h(b+B)
2A = h(b+B)
2A = bh+Bh
2A-Bh = bh <-----This is where I am stuck.

The only solution i can come up with, is that it is a muliplication for both variables on both sides, which needs to be inversed in order to get b by itself...

2A-Bh / h = bh / h

cross out the h i get:

2A-B = b

2A-Bh/h = b
You ALMOST had it.

You were here:

2*A - B*h = b*h ....... now divide both sides by 'h' to get

\(\displaystyle \frac{2*A - B*h}{h} = \frac{b*h}{h}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{2*A - B*h}{h} = b\)

There you have it......

2*A - B*h = b*h ....... now divide both sides by 'h' to get

\(\displaystyle \frac{2*A - B*h}{h} = \frac{b*h}{h}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{2*A - B*h}{h} = b\)

Why does 'Bh' still contain the 'h'? why does the 'h' variable not get canceled by the 'h' divisor?
but on the right side 'bh' 'h' gets cancelled..

EDIT:

I think i understand now.

The whole point is to get the variable or constant to the opposite side alone. Thus, the reason for the 'h' still be intact and also being a divisor.

But still, could we not take it a step further and cancel that 'h' on the left side? or does it not work?

EDIT 2:

OR

Is it because the opposite side cannot be simplified further, thus the left side is left as an equation?

Last edited:

2A-Bh / h = bh / h

cross out the h i get:

2A-B = b

2A-Bh/h = b
Your error is in thinking of it as merely "crossing out the h" rather that as what it is: DIVIDING the ENTIRE left side by h. That means every term.

It doesn't help that you omitted parentheses: (2A-Bh) / h = bh / h.

You can stop there, after "canceling" the h's on the right, which means simply undoing the multiplication, so the answer is b = (2A-Bh) / h, as they apparently left it.

You can optionally simplify; but when you divide (2A - Bh) by h, you divide both terms: (2A)/h - (Bh)/h = (2A)/h - B. So that is the alternative form of the answer.