What are the hardest math placement tests?

GetThroughDiffEq

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering what the hardest math placement tests are. I have approximately 10 classes left for my business degree and need to estimate if I'll be able to at least pass Calculus II in a University setting. I'm clepping out of the Concepts of Calculus either way. That being said, I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars to know where I stand rather than a few thousand for a bad grade at University.

What placement tests are you choosing among? And what do you mean by "hardest"?

If I were you, I would want to know the most accurate test -- that is, the one that will place you in the course that will give you the best chance of success. Is that what you mean?

The placement test used by my school (a community college) gives a score that is interpreted according to the school's own system (as it should be, since courses are not identical everywhere), so its accuracy is dependent on the school. But as I understand it, it is intended to give you a 50% chance of passing the course they put you into, which I don't find encouraging.

But I may be thinking about an entirely different kind of test than you have in mind.

What placement tests are you choosing among? And what do you mean by "hardest"?

If I were you, I would want to know the most accurate test -- that is, the one that will place you in the course that will give you the best chance of success. Is that what you mean?

The placement test used by my school (a community college) gives a score that is interpreted according to the school's own system (as it should be, since courses are not identical everywhere), so its accuracy is dependent on the school. But as I understand it, it is intended to give you a 50% chance of passing the course they put you into, which I don't find encouraging.

But I may be thinking about an entirely different kind of test than you have in mind.

50-60% is more of what I had in mind. Well, I am only familiar with two placement tests: The Accuplacer and the Compass. Which would you say is the harder of these?

It doesn't always matter which is harder. A hard test can do the same job in placing a student as an easy test in some cases.
Understand that to get into say Algebra you might need an 80% on the easy test compared to a 60% on the harder test. Now the real question is will it be easier to get a 60% on the harder test or a 80% on the easier test!?

As I indicated, the school sets the score cutoffs, so it is not necessarily the test itself that would be "easier" or "harder". But even more important, the test is not the same for each person who takes it; it is designed to be as hard as it needs to me for you. This is from my school's website:

The ACCUPLACER test is an adaptive test. This means that each question the computer gives you is based on your answer to the question before it. If questions are getting harder, it means that you have probably answered the previous questions correctly. Using this technique, we can determine your skill level on each section of the test by asking relatively few questions. The test is not timed, so that you can give each question as much thought as you wish. Once you have answered each question, however, you cannot return to that question.​

So if you are only capable of doing arithmetic, you likely will get few or no algebra questions; if you are capable of calculus, you would probably get very few mere arithmetic questions. (One problem with this is that the test might entirely miss your greatest weaknesses, e.g. fractions, and not make you aware of the need to review some basics before taking a course.)

I have no personal experience with taking that test, and no knowledge at all of others to compare with.

… I have approximately 10 classes left for my business degree and need to estimate if I'll be able to at least pass Calculus II …
Hi GTDE. Are you talking about 10 math classes? How much math have you already completed? Have you done any math recently? Does your current school offer tests for math placement? (Many colleges offer to test for free.)

Here's a sample ACCUPLACER test. Does it seem hard?

?