what equation represents....

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, a friend sent me this exercise. Is it correct?. I am failing to see any equation that matches the problem.
I would appreciate if you clear me up on this.
eddy
A roofer charges a base fee of $140 to come out for a job and 30% for each hour he works. if p represents the price for the job, and represents the hours he worked, which of the following equations represents the price paid for a job by this roofer?.

P=140h-30

P=140h+30=

P=140h+30

P=140-30h

Hi, a friend sent me this exercise. Is it correct?. I am failing to see any equation that matches the problem.
eddy
A roofer charges a base fee of $140 to come out for a job and 30% for each hour he works. if p represents the price for the job, and represents the hours he worked, which of the following equations represents the price paid for a job by this roofer?.

P=140h-30

P=140h+30=

P=140h+30

P=140-30h
You have some typos. 30%? What is h?
Please be more careful.
I don't see the right equation either.

eddy

P=140h-30

P=140h+30=

P=140h+30

P=140-30h
Does it really say "30%"? Or is it $30 and you copied wrong? If it does say what you wrote, then they'd have to make it clear what it is 30% of. If it is $, then still none of the answers is correct, but I suspect you copied one of those wrong too.

Can you show us an image of the actual problem?

I suspect it is really something like this:

A roofer charges a base fee of $140 to come out for a job and $30 for each hour he works. if p represents the price for the job, and h represents the hours he worked, which of the following equations represents the price paid for a job by this roofer?.

P=140h-30
P=140+30h
P=140h+30
P=140-30h

Does it really say "30%"? Or is it $30 and you copied wrong? If it does say what you wrote, then they'd have to make it clear what it is 30% of. If it is $, then still none of the answers is correct, but I suspect you copied one of those wrong too.

Can you show us an image of the actual problem?
30 dollars. It says 30 dollars.

Sorry, it is 30 dollars but I still see no equation that represents that, because140 is dollars and i don't see any sign or symbol fordollars in any of the equation.

Sorry, it is 30 dollars but I still see no equation that represents that, because140 is dollars and i don't see any sign or symbol for dollars in any of the equation.
We don't put units into equations. The variable P represents the price in dollars, and that is all we need.

We don't put units into equations. The variable P represents the price in dollars, and that is all we need.
Oh, I see now. So, any clue?.
I think if we don't put units into equation, then, this should be the right answer. P=140+30h

Oh, I see now. So, any clue?.
I think if we don't put units into equation, then, this should be the right answer. P=140+30h
Yes, that's right. But you still haven't shown us what the problem actually says! That would be the clue.

Have you ever seen an equation in your textbook that had a dollar sign in it? (You might occasionally see that, when they want to show how the units in a problem work, but never in an equation you are actually solving.)

Yes, you're right. I didn't think about that. There's no equation with a dollar sign. The question was like that. It was easy to recognize if only I would have known that. It just threw me off.

Last edited:
Not knowing that made me even think that there was an issue with the question. There was none.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.