What is the physical interpretation of this formula?

Maurice

If the following formula is expanded for an odd value of k, the formula is, arithmetically, obviously true, but not so obviously true when k is even.

1603020276627.png for all positive integers k, and kCj represents 1603020276657.png or C(k, j)

If kCj means the number of arrangements of k distinguishable objects taken j at a time, when order does not matter, then physically, what does this formula actually mean, and why physically should it have a value of 1?

First, I think "physical" is the wrong word- that is not quite what you mean. A mathematical formula does NOT HAVE a single "physical interpretation" and there is NO "physical" reason a formula should or should not be true.

Now, this may be what you are thinking of: If we take the nth power of a+ b, then each term will have "i" copies of a and "j" copies of b where i+ j= n- that is, \(\displaystyle a^ib^j\). The coefficien of \(\displaystyle a^ib^j\) will be the number of different ways we can order "i" copies of a and "j" copies of b. For example \(\displaystyle (a+ b)^2= a(a+ b)+ b(a+ b)= aa+ ab+ ba+ bb= a^2+ 2ab+ b^2\) and \(\displaystyle (a+ b)^3= (a+ b)(aa+ ab+ba+ bb)= a(aa+ ab+ ba+ bb)+ b(aa+ ab+ ba+ bb)= aaa+ aab+ aba+ abb+ baa+ bab+ bba+ bbb= aaa+ (aab+aba+ baa)+ (abb+ bab+ bba)+ bbb= a^3+ 3a^2b+ 3ab^2+ b^3\). That is as close to a "physical" reason for the coefficients as you will have.

So we have \(\displaystyle (a+ b)^n= \sum_{j=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ i \end{pmatrix} a^jb^{n-j}\) (the "binomial formula") and, in particular, taking a= -1, b= 1, \(\displaystyle (-1+ 1)^n= \sum_{j=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j \end{pmatrix} (-1)^j(1)^{n-j}= \sum_{j=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j\).

But \(\displaystyle (-1+ 1)^n= 0^n= 0\) so \(\displaystyle \sum_{j=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j= 0\).

Your sum is not from 0 to n, it is from 1 to n so is missing the "0th" term which is \(\displaystyle (-1)^n\). What that is depends upon whether n is even or odd.

For n odd, \(\displaystyle (-1)^n= -1\) so \(\displaystyle \sum_{j=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j= -1+ \sum_{j=1}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j= 0\). Adding 1 to both sides, \(\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j= 1\).

For n even, \(\displaystyle (-1)^n= 1\) so \(\displaystyle \sum_{j=0}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j= 1+ \sum_{j=1}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j= 0\). Subtracting 1 from both sides, \(\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^n \begin{pmatrix} n \\ j\end{pmatrix}(-1)^j= -1\).

Thank you very much, for your reply. I am totally amazed by what you have done in such a short time.

I think I get your message. I was hoping for an insight in terms of arrangements, but perhaps I am a little naive. I am not a mathematician, I come from a physics background and like to try to get a physical feel for equations, but you are correct in that this is rarely possible.

I am a little confused by your calculation though, 1603031847797.pnghas the power of -1 as ( j+1), and I cannot see values for a and b that will generate a power of ( j+1). In the above equation, the value is independent of whether k is odd or even. Could you please explain what am I missing?

Many thanks.

I am a little confused by your calculation though, View attachment 22416has the power of -1 as ( j+1), and I cannot see values for a and b that will generate a power of ( j+1). In the above equation, the value is independent of whether k is odd or even. Could you please explain what am I missing?

Just multiply both sides of Halls' final equation by -1, which will distribute over all the terms.