What's going on?

Why all the recent ups and downs for connectivity?

Whatever the problem is, it's not site-wide. It seems to be forums-specific. So maybe the back-end script is getting too old, or maybe a mysql database needs to be migrated to a newer form...? Dunno.

And Ted doesn't know, either. When I notify him, he reboots the server, so the entire site comes back up, complete with the forums. But he hasn't yet had time to try to figure out the problem, or ask for help from the server host.

I remember when he was running this site as part of his graduate-school studies. Now he's married with kids -- and it's currently Elf-on-the-Shelf season, so I'm guessing he's busy! ?

Whatever the problem is, it's not site-wide. It seems to be forums-specific. So maybe the back-end script is getting too old, or maybe a mysql database needs to be migrated to a newer form...? Dunno.

It's not clear to me from error logs what is going on, unfortunately.
And Ted doesn't know, either. When I notify him, he reboots the server, so the entire site comes back up, complete with the forums. But he hasn't yet had time to try to figure out the problem, or ask for help from the server host.
Working on PHP and Xenforo version upgrades tonight, but generally speaking nothing is out of date.
I remember when he was running this site as part of his graduate-school studies. Now he's married with kids -- and it's currently Elf-on-the-Shelf season, so I'm guessing he's busy! ?
It was actually circa 10th grade and a million years ago!

Testing to make sure we're back up and [imath]ru^{nn}ing[/imath]

Edit -- ok Xenforo and PHP are back up to current versions. Not sure if that will change anything. @stapel please email if you notice any outages. I very much appreciate that!

Testing to make sure we're back up and [imath]ru^{nn}ing[/imath]

Edit -- ok Xenforo and PHP are back up to current versions. Not sure if that will change anything. @stapel please email if you notice any outages. I very much appreciate that!
Well, I guess that didn't clear up the issue. Will check logs tonight.

Certain folder permissions appear to be responsible for the periodic "internal server error" messages. Those have been fixed -- I think.

However, these were actually only a symptom of something unexpected happening much deeper in the server that I was not picking up from the logs. I believe that underlying issue has been resolved and, should it recur now, the permission change will prevent the internal server error message and it will be seamless.

Last edited:
Certain folder permissions appear to be responsible for the periodic "internal server error" messages. Those have been fixed -- I think.

However, these were actually only a symptom of something unexpected happening much deeper in the server that I was not picking up from the logs. I believe that underlying issue has been resolved and, should it recur now, the permission change will prevent the internal server error message and it will be seamless.
Not sure if this helps, but I saw odd time stamps during the outage. Several sections were created at "1.1.1970" or something like this. I didn't keep a screenshot, I just thought that something with the clock or the battery that runs the clock was out of order.