Who like tea?

BigBeachBanana

A researcher is conducting a social experiment on product popularity. 3 people A, B, and C were waiting in a room together and told that, while they were waiting, they were free to choose from three drinks types. These three people were then observed as they waited in the room. Following the observation, they were interviewed multiple times about which people choose which drink. One person always lied when asked. One person always told the truth. One person would tell the truth and lie on an alternating basis (i.e. one truth and one lie, or one lie and one truth). The three drink types were tea, soda, and juice. The responses for one of the interviews were as follows:

Person A: I like tea. Person C likes juice.
Person B: I like tea. Person A likes soda.
Person C: Person B likes fruit juice. Person A likes soda.

It is known that all people preferred different drinks. Who likes tea?

I just want to be clear. Each person makes two statements, does the lier lie on both statements? How about the person that alternates?

I just want to be clear. Each person makes two statements, does the lier lie on both statements? How about the person that alternates?
Each person makes 2 statements.
The truth-teller always tells truths.
The liar always tells lies.
The alternate trickster tells one truth and one lie in any order.

A researcher is conducting a social experiment on product popularity. 3 people A, B, and C were waiting in a room together and told that, while they were waiting, they were free to choose from three drinks types. These three people were then observed as they waited in the room. Following the observation, they were interviewed multiple times about which people choose which drink. One person always lied when asked. One person always told the truth. One person would tell the truth and lie on an alternating basis (i.e. one truth and one lie, or one lie and one truth). The three drink types were tea, soda, and juice. The responses for one of the interviews were as follows:

Person A: I like tea. Person C likes juice.
Person B: I like tea. Person A likes soda.
Person C: Person B likes fruit juice. Person A likes soda.

It is known that all people preferred different drinks. Who likes tea?
Assume A is the truth teller. Then A likes tea; B likes soda, and C likes juice. So B lies twice as does C. Nope.

Assume B is the truth teller. Then A likes soda, B likes tea, and C likes juice. So A lies once as does C. Nope.

Thus C is the truth teller. Then A likes soda, B likes juice, and C likes tea.

Let’s check. A lies twice. B lies once. OK

C likes tea.[/SPOILER

adjective
adjective: harsh; comparative adjective: harsher; superlative adjective: harshest
  1. 1.
    unpleasantly rough or jarring to the senses.
The implication that because I said what I said, I am not professional! Ouch!
Thanks for replying.No Cat, you understood it wrong.
I can see how you might have interpreted it but I did not mean it as an insult to you at all.
Your comment was funny and as you know I am the last person to hold back a funny comment whenever I get a chance. So my comment just meant that I (being the (non) professional I am) would never joke in this forum.
In any case, I am sorry that you felt that I was harsh and I hope that you can accept my apology.

Thanks for replying.No Cat, you understood it wrong.
I can see how you might have interpreted it but I did not mean it as an insult to you at all.
Your comment was funny and as you know I am the last person to hold back a funny comment whenever I get a chance. So my comment just meant that I (being the (non) professional I am) would never joke in this forum.
In any case, I am sorry that you felt that I was harsh and I hope that you can accept my apology.
Oh I know it was meant as a joke and didn't take it as an insult at all. I meant "harsh" in a sarcastic way. Maybe it's an Australianism! Sarcasm is part of our culture!

Dan,
I usually say that sarcasm is my middle name, but being part of your DNA is worse
Steve

Last edited: