Word Equation, what formula should I use?

Tara Marie

Can someone help me? What formula should I be using to solve this?

-One garden has 5 red flowers, 100 white flowers and one generation of blue flowers. This garden is worth 2 points.
-Another garden has 10 red flowers, 50 white flowers and 3 generations of blue flowers. This garden is worth 3 points.
-The last garden has 10 red flowers, 0 white flowers and 6 generations of blue flowers. This garden is worth 4 points.

1.)How many points is a red flower worth? A white flower? A blue generation of flowers?

Turn each statement into an equation, using a variable to represent the value of one of each kind of flower. You will get three equations in three unknowns. Please make an attempt and show us your equations.

But what does "generation" mean here??

-One garden has 5 red flowers, 100 white flowers and one generation of blue flowers. This garden is worth 2 points.
-Another garden has 10 red flowers, 50 white flowers and 3 generations of blue flowers. This garden is worth 3 points.
-The last garden has 10 red flowers, 0 white flowers and 6 generations of blue flowers. This garden is worth 4 points.

1.)How many points is a red flower worth? A white flower? A blue generation of flowers?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/read-before-posting.109846/#post-486520

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

25R+150W+10G= ....am I even close?
You appear to be trying to combine ALL the statements into one equation, rather than doing what I suggested, turning EACH statement into an equation of its own. You need to let algebra do the work (later); for now, just translate into algebra without trying to solve anything yet.

So what equation does this give you?

One garden has 5 red flowers, 100 white flowers and one generation of blue flowers. This garden is worth 2 points.​

Then do the same with the others. You'll get three equations in three unknowns, which you can then solve, after you've written them all.

5R+100W+B=2P
10R+50W+3B=3P
10R+6B=4P

Is this correct? Sorry I'm that bad at math. Would I then use the elimination method?

5R+100W+B=2P

… Is this correct? …
Hi. That's almost correct. We don't need symbol P. It does not represent points; the number 2 represents the points.

Let's define your other symbols. (You ought to always define symbols that you choose yourself, in word problems.)

Let R = point-value for one red flower
Let W = point-value for one white flower
Let B = point-value for one generation of blue flowers

Therefore, the expressions 5R, 100W, and B each represent an amount of points. When we add them, we get total points. That total is 2 points, not 2P points.

Without symbol P, your three equations are correct.

… use the elimination method?
As far as I know, you're allowed to use any method you've learned.

?

What does that mean though? I'm not good at cues, I'm highly stressed with math! I do best with "yes you are on the right track, those numbers and variables are correct keep going" or no you are "too far off to help". Ughh

As Dr. Peterson said, in the first response to your post, you need 3 equations to solve for three unknowns.

The problem does NOT say that the connection is linear but that is the simplest thing to start with.
-One garden has 5 red flowers, 100 white flowers and one generation of blue flowers. This garden is worth 2 points.[/quote]
Let x be the "value" of a red flower, y the "value" of a white flower, and z the value of a generation if blue flowers. Then the value of "5 red flowers, 100 white flowers and one generation of blue flowers" is 5x+ 100y+ z and we are told that is "2 points". 5x+ 100y+ z= 2.

Similarly, 10x+ 50y+ 3z= 3.

And 10x+ 6z= 4.

Solve the three equations 5x+ 100y+ z= 2, 10x+ 50y+ 3z= 3, and 10x+ 6z= 4 for x, y, and z.

What does that mean though?
What does "that" represent? I can't tell what you're asking about, Tara Marie.

… I do best with "yes you are on the right track … keep going" …
I've posted that your equations are correct (after deleting the Ps) and that you may solve the system using the Elimination Method. (You don't need to change your symbols to x,y,z.) So, yes, you're on the right track.

Please show us how you started solving the system. We'd like to see where you got stuck.

?