Wargame probabilities question

ScottyinOz

Hi all,

I'm in the process of working out some probabilities for a table top game we are designing.

What we are thinking of is a situation where the attack of a gun is compared to the defense of the target. Based on D6's

The model is :

The attacking gun gets a rating of a number of D6 from 1 to as many as 30 as an indication of its power.
The shooter rolls the number of dice indicated and each 5 or 6 they get counts as a "strike"

The defender then rolls a number of D6 based on their defense rating, again form 1 to 30.
For every 5 or 6 they roll, it cancels out one of the 5s or 6s from the attacker's roll.

The remaining hits then determine the result.
So 0 net hits might be slight damage
1 net hit is greater damge
2 net even more damage
3 even more again etc

What we need to come up with is a formula that shows the probabilities of getting X many net hits given a Strike of S and a Defense of D

:confused: HELP !!! :D

Well, we're not really a consulting service. You probably should hire a grad student and expect to pay for the service. On the other hand, if you should show your best efforts, we might be willing to suggest improvements to your process.

Well, we're not really a consulting service. You probably should hire a grad student and expect to pay for the service. On the other hand, if you should show your best efforts, we might be willing to suggest improvements to your process.

I'm not not a commercial venture, just doing some stuff with my mates.
I'm also not a student of Probabilities so I don't really know where to start as I only have a fairly basic groubding in Probcand Stats, hence the question.

There are books on the subjects. We can write the books, but why? We don't have the time or the energy to teach the whole class on here. What we have time for, since we are volunteers who have agree to help math students, is helping math students who are willing to show their best work. If you are trying to work outside your knowledge base, which you admit openly, then this is probably not the place to gain the proper background. Please go to school and become a student of the subjects you need. There are no shortcuts.

There are books on the subjects. We can write the books, but why? We don't have the time or the energy to teach the whole class on here. What we have time for, since we are volunteers who have agree to help math students, is helping math students who are willing to show their best work. If you are trying to work outside your knowledge base, which you admit openly, then this is probably not the place to gain the proper background. Please go to school and become a student of the subjects you need. There are no shortcuts.

As it truns out, there are and I've managed to find some one who isn't a bellend who'd rathet type condesending wank than the soulution, that as it turns out is quite straightforward.
**** you very much for your piss poor attitude and lack of help