Reducing Standard Deviation of Sample Population from 0.08 to 0.04

jalyn757

This question is for a homework assignment:

Suppose that in a random sample of size 100, the standard deviation of the sampling distribution of the sample proportion is 0.08. If a researcher wanted to reduce the standard deviation to 0.04, what sample size would be required?

a) 100 b) 200 c) 400 d) 800 e) 1600

This is verbatim from the worksheet, and I was trying to input it into formulas such as the (std. dev)/sqrt(sample size); however, I keep getting answers that don't line up. I was getting n=4 which doesn't make sense at all. The way I got that was by inputting my known initial standard deviation of .08 in the numerator and by leaving the denominator as unknown. Then, I set the whole fraction equal to .04, my desired reduced standard deviation. Finally, I solved for my unknown variable n, sample size.

Maybe I am reading the question wrong or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

This question is for a homework assignment:

Suppose that in a random sample of size 100, the standard deviation of the sampling distribution of the sample proportion is 0.08. If a researcher wanted to reduce the standard deviation to 0.04, what sample size would be required?

a) 100 b) 200 c) 400 d) 800 e) 1600

This is verbatim from the worksheet, and I was trying to input it into formulas such as the (std. dev)/sqrt(sample size); however, I keep getting answers that don't line up. I was getting n=4 which doesn't make sense at all. The way I got that was by inputting my known initial standard deviation of .08 in the numerator and by leaving the denominator as unknown. Then, I set the whole fraction equal to .04, my desired reduced standard deviation. Finally, I solved for my unknown variable n, sample size.

Maybe I am reading the question wrong or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

The given s.d. of 0.08 is not the population s.d., but corresponds to n=100. Find the population s.d., and use that to find n such that the sample s.d. is 0.04.

Thank you so much! I ended up getting c) 400.

So did I!

Notice that the sample s.d. is inversely proportional to the square root of the sample size, so halving the former requires quadrupling the latter.