Separate all values in an expression: (a-1)/b --> ((a/1)*(1/b))-(1/b)

Ethrex

For code I am writing, I have a goal to change an expression such that all values can be represented as a simple fraction where 1 is either the numerator or denominator -- and each fraction cannot be separated by division. Sounds crazy, I know - this is more of an exercise than anything.

Is this even possible? For example:

(a-1)/b --> ((a/1)*(1/b))-(1/b)

I have found I am able to do this with a lot of algebraic expressions. However, if a + or - exists in a denominator, I don't seem to be able to break it out. For example:

a/(b-1)

The best I can do is: (a/1)*(1/(b-1))

Just fyi, right now I am not seeking to solve for log, exp, etc, just +-/* operators...

Thanks!

For code I am writing, I have a goal to change an expression such that all values can be represented as a simple fraction where 1 is either the numerator or denominator -- and each fraction cannot be separated by division. Sounds crazy, I know - this is more of an exercise than anything.

Is this even possible? For example:

(a-1)/b --> ((a/1)*(1/b))-(1/b)

I have found I am able to do this with a lot of algebraic expressions. However, if a + or - exists in a denominator, I don't seem to be able to break it out. For example:

a/(b-1)

The best I can do is: (a/1)*(1/(b-1))

Just fyi, right now I am not seeking to solve for log, exp, etc, just +-/* operators...

Thanks!
How about:

a/(b-1) = 1/[(b-1)/a] = 1/[{(b/1)*(1/a) - (1/a)}]

If you restrict yourself to using only fractions which have "1" as the numerator, you'll be in the Egyptian context. They may have figured out pyramids, but fractions were a bit of a struggle for them! ;)

Thanks Subhotosh Khan, I think you got the right idea. You have successfully isolated the denominators from having addition/subtraction. Unfortunately the whole expression becomes a reciprocal itself. Is there any way to avoid that? I am trying to not have multiple layers of division, and in fact leave any division at the lowest layer (no more than a 1 or a variable in the numerator or denominator). I suspect it is not possible.

stapel, that was an interesting read for sure!

So I figured out this:

a/(b-1)
= a * (1/(b-1))
= a * ((b-1)^-1) // negative exponent

Is there any way to distribute the exponent to b and -1 to separate them?