How and what to start with: 3x+2y-2=2y+1x

graywolf

In a problem like this below, why would we start from 1x? Why can't we get rid of 2y first and then do 1x? Could someone tell me with a plain and simple English?

3x+2y-2=2y+1x

… why would we start from 1x? Why can't we get rid of 2y first and then do 1x? …

3x+2y-2=2y+1x
If you're subtracting terms 2y and x (from each side of the equation), then it's okay to subtract 2y first. You could also begin by subtracting x. Either way, you will end up with the same result.

What does the exercise ask you to do? Are you solving for x?

In a problem like this below, why would we start from 1x? Why can't we get rid of 2y first and then do 1x? Could someone tell me with a plain and simple English?

3x+2y-2=2y+1x
You can do anything you like as long as you do it to both sides-except you can't multiply both sides by 0. As for what you should do first, that is really up to you. It is best that each step you do gets you closer to what you want. I would prefer that you do the two steps you mentioned all at once. Just do -2y-x to both sides. Write the -2y under the y's and the -x under the x's. This will get you 2x - 2 = 0. So naturally 2x=2 (since 2 - 2 =0). Then x=???