Golf statistics: looking for a new alternative to point scoring.

Peter Australia

Apologies if this is not the correct forum. I'm looking for ststistics on outcomes of a golf game. We play golf every year and are looking for a new alternative to point scoring.

An idea I've had involves two possible options. FYI - there are four players (two teams of two). The game is 18 holes. Both teams are evenly matched.

Option 1: Each team rolls two die at the beginning of each hole, with that total being added to thier score if they win the hole.

Option 2: Each team rolls two die at the beginning of each hole, with that total being added to thier score if they win, and for the team that loses the hole, the total that they rolled is deducted.

What I would like to know is: which option will produce a closer result between the teams.

For context, the points end up converting into beers which cost on average AUD$8, or the cash equivalent.

Would be most grateful to hear your answers. Also keen to hear if you have any other options that might work better.

Kind regards
Peter

In a frenzy of naivete, I am going to assume that you are not trolling us.

The expected value of rolling a pair of dice is 7. Assuming the losing pair averages 8 (combined score) on each hole, you can expect that the the number of beers to be purchased per person is

\(\displaystyle 18 \times (7 + 8) \div 4 = \dfrac{18 \times 15}{4} = \dfrac{9 * 15}{2} = 67.5\) beers,

which should be adequate for normal purposes.