Series of problem questions: Students completing a training course on web design

Farnzyy

hey guys here i have a set of questions that i need help solving and have no idea where to start theirs some excel parts in it part if anybody could help with workings that would be great. Struggling on this topic so explanations would be awesome.i dont need the exact answers and not looking for them just need some help in identifying how i should attack and work it out cheers. :D:D:D:D

Students completing a training course on web design have to design a home page as an assignment. The trainers have found that the mean number of faulty links per assignment is 0.35. To avoid collusion, the assignments are allocated to the students randomly and independently from a bank of similar assignments.

a. If the number of faulty links is a random variable X, identify the type of distribution X has and state the value/s of its parameter/s.

b. One assignment is randomly selected. Use Excel to calculate the probability that the assignment has more than one faulty link on the home page.

c. Students are required to resubmit the assignment if there are any faulty links on the home page. Twenty assignments are randomly selected. Calculate (using statistical tables) the probability that none of the assignments will have to be resubmitted.

d. The trainers have also found that the mean number of spelling errors per assignment is 6.8. How many spelling errors would you expect to find across all 20 selected assignments?

Last edited:
hey guys here i have a set of questions that i need help solving and have no idea where to start theirs some excel parts in it part if anybody could help with workings that would be great. Struggling on this topic so explanations would be awesome.i dont need the exact answers and not looking for them just need some help in identifying how i should attack and work it out cheers. :D:D:D:D

Students completing a training course on web design have to design a home page as an assignment. The trainers have found that the mean number of faulty links per assignment is 0.35. To avoid collusion, the assignments are allocated to the students randomly and independently from a bank of similar assignments.

a. If the number of faulty links is a random variable X, identify the type of distribution X has and state the value/s of its parameter/s.
What types of distributions do you know? What are the characteristics of the "binomial distribution", "Poisson distribution", "exponential distribution", "normal distribution". Note that in this problem the random variable, "the number of faulty links", is a non-negative integer. That should help.

b. One assignment is randomly selected. Use Excel to calculate the probability that the assignment has more than one faulty link on the home page.

c. Students are required to resubmit the assignment if there are any faulty links on the home page. Twenty assignments are randomly selected. Calculate (using statistical tables) the probability that none of the assignments will have to be resubmitted.

d. The trainers have also found that the mean number of spelling errors per assignment is 6.8. How many spelling errors would you expect to find across all 20 selected assignments?
(d) is almost trivial!

Last edited: