Some fundamental question in combinatorics

CStudent

Hey.

We started to study all this subject of combinatorics integrated with the subject of functions.

1. I don't actually understand how to integrate between combinatorics and function, those functions which represent our possibilities and etc...
And why at all we need to represent our combinatoric problem with an answer integrating functions?

2. Secondly, we get this formula to calculate some sorts of possibilities:
\(\displaystyle \frac{n!}{(n-k)!} \)
It's not clear to me why is this really correct, what is posed behind it?

3. For the Newton's binom - the lecturer has presented the proof for it but I don't understand it well, he also used the formula from above (2) to present the proof.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey.

We started to study all this subject of combinatorics integrated with the subject of functions.

1. I don't actually understand how to integrate between combinatorics and function, those functions which represent our possibilities and etc...
And why at all we need to represent our combinatoric problem with an answer integrating functions?

3. For the Newton's binom - the lecturer has presented the proof for it but I don't understand it well, he also used the formula from above (2) to present the proof.

Thank you!

1. Can you show what the textbook says about this integration? I think we need specifics in order to know what you are asking about. At least an example, or a definition of a particular function.

2. What is that formula for, specifically? I would expect it to have been named, and an explanation given.

3. There are many ways to prove the binomial theorem; you'd have to show us the details you are confused by.

Hey.

What does that even mean? Integration (at least in the sense of calculus) involves continuous functions. Combinatorics is about discrete functions. This question appears to make no sense at all.

Correct for doing WHAT? You cannot seriously expect us to tell you why a formula is effective if you can't be bothered to say what it is supposed to be effecting.

Binomial theorem or binomial coefficient?

Thank you!
Please take the time to formulate your questions carefully, and please pose one question per thread.

Because I have no clue what you are even remotely talking about in your first question, I shall mostly deal with question 2, which I suspect deals with permutations of n objects taken k at a time.

Let's make this concrete. You have five balls that can be distinguished by color: red (r), white (w), purple (p), green (g), and black (b). You have two boxes distinguished by size: large (L), and small (S). How many distinct ways can you have one of those 5 balls in each of the 2 boxes.

1 Lr, Sw
2 Lr, Sp
3 Lr, Sg
4 Lr, Sb
5 Lw, Sr
6 Lw, Sp
7 Lw, Sg
8 Lw, Sb
9 Lp, Sr
10 Lp, Sw
11 Lp, Sg
12 Lp, Sb
13 Lg, Sr
14 Lg, Sw
15 Lg, Sp
16 Lg, Sb
17 Lb, Sr
18 Lb, Sw
19 Lb, Sp
20 Lb, Sg

There are \(\displaystyle 20 = \dfrac{120}{6} = \dfrac{5!}{3!} = \dfrac{5!}{(5 - 2)!}.\)

Well the formula works in that case. Is that a fluke?

Let's think more generally. Suppose we have n distinguishable balls and k distinguishable boxes, where

\(\displaystyle k,\ n \in \mathbb Z \text { and }1 \le k \le n.\)

If n > 0 and k = 1, we can choose any one of n balls to put in box 1. Our number is n.

If n > 1 and k = 2, we can choose any one of n balls for the first box, but for each of those we can choose any of (n - 1) balls for box 2.
Our number is n(n - 1).

If n > 2 and k = 3, we can choose any one of n balls for the first box, but for each of those we can choose any of (n - 1) balls for box 2, and for each of those n(n-1) ways, we can choose (n - 2) balls for box 3.
Our number is n(n - 1)(n - 2).

In general then,

\(\displaystyle x = \text { the number of distinguishable ways to put one from a set}\)

\(\displaystyle \text {of n distinguishable balls into each of a set of k distinguishable boxes } = \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n - k + 1}^n j \right ).\)

How does that formula work for our example of 5 balls and 2 boxes. It means

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n - k + 1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=5 - 3 + 1}^5 j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=4}^5 j \right ) = 4 * 5 = 20.\)

And we know that is the right answer.

Now if you do not understand the general case, try some more concrete ones. You might try six different colored balls and three boxes. (This will take you quite a bit of time. Don't leave any out.)

Good to here?

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * 1 \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) =\left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * \dfrac{(n - k)!}{(n - k)!} \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * (n - k)! \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left (\prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * \left ( \prod_{j=1}^{n-k} j \right ) \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{1}^n j \right ) \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = n! \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \dfrac{n!}{(n - k)!}.\)

Last edited:
1. Can you show what the textbook says about this integration? I think we need specifics in order to know what you are asking about. At least an example, or a definition of a particular function.

2. What is that formula for, specifically? I would expect it to have been named, and an explanation given.

3. There are many ways to prove the binomial theorem; you'd have to show us the details you are confused by.

Please take the time to formulate your questions carefully, and please pose one question per thread.

Because I have no clue what you are even remotely talking about in your first question, I shall mostly deal with question 2, which I suspect deals with permutations of n objects taken k at a time.

Let's make this concrete. You have five balls that can be distinguished by color: red (r), white (w), purple (p), green (g), and black (b). You have two boxes distinguished by size: large (L), and small (S). How many distinct ways can you have one of those 5 balls in each of the 2 boxes.

1 Lr, Sw
2 Lr, Sp
3 Lr, Sg
4 Lr, Sb
5 Lw, Sr
6 Lw, Sp
7 Lw, Sg
8 Lw, Sb
9 Lp, Sr
10 Lp, Sw
11 Lp, Sg
12 Lp, Sb
13 Lg, Sr
14 Lg, Sw
15 Lg, Sp
16 Lg, Sb
17 Lb, Sr
18 Lb, Sw
19 Lb, Sp
20 Lb, Sg

There are \(\displaystyle 20 = \dfrac{120}{6} = \dfrac{5!}{3!} = \dfrac{5!}{(5 - 2)!}.\)

Well the formula works in that case. Is that a fluke?

Let's think more generally. Suppose we have n distinguishable balls and k distinguishable boxes, where

\(\displaystyle k,\ n \in \mathbb Z \text { and }1 \le k \le n.\)

If n > 0 and k = 1, we can choose any one of n balls to put in box 1. Our number is n.

If n > 1 and k = 2, we can choose any one of n balls for the first box, but for each of those we can choose any of (n - 1) balls for box 2.
Our number is n(n - 1).

If n > 2 and k = 3, we can choose any one of n balls for the first box, but for each of those we can choose any of (n - 1) balls for box 2, and for each of those n(n-1) ways, we can choose (n - 2) balls for box 3.
Our number is n(n - 1)(n - 2).

In general then,

\(\displaystyle x = \text { the number of distinguishable ways to put one from a set}\)

\(\displaystyle \text {of n distinguishable balls into each of a set of k distinguishable boxes } = \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n - k + 1}^n j \right ).\)

How does that formula work for our example of 5 balls and 2 boxes. It means

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n - k + 1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=5 - 3 + 1}^5 j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=4}^5 j \right ) = 4 * 5 = 20.\)

And we know that is the right answer.

Now if you do not understand the general case, try some more concrete ones. You might try six different colored balls and three boxes. (This will take you quite a bit of time. Don't leave any out.)

Good to here?

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * 1 \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) =\left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * \dfrac{(n - k)!}{(n - k)!} \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * (n - k)! \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left (\prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) * \left ( \prod_{j=1}^{n-k} j \right ) \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \left ( \prod_{1}^n j \right ) \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = n! \div (n - k)! \implies\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left ( \prod_{j=n-k+1}^n j \right ) = \dfrac{n!}{(n - k)!}.\)
Thanks! I think I understand.

Here is some concrete related example of misunderstanding of Multinomial Theorem:
* How many 9-letter words can we compose from 3 letters of A, 2 letters of B and 4 letters of C?

The answer is: \(\displaystyle \binom{9}{4, 3, 2}\)

But I don't understand the logic of this calculating, why does it give us the required answer?
What is behind the scenes of this multinomial formula?

Here is some concrete related example of misunderstanding of Multinomial Theorem:
* How many 9-letter words can we compose from 3 letters of A, 2 letters of B and 4 letters of C?

The answer is: \(\displaystyle \binom{9}{4, 3, 2}\)

But I don't understand the logic of this calculating, why does it give us the required answer?
What is behind the scenes of this multinomial formula?

Are you saying you were taught this symbol (and hopefully also the formula for it), with no explanation why the formula works (derivation or proof)? That is not mathematics.

You can find a basic explanation here. And here is a typical class presentation, among many you can find by searching.

The simplest way to see it is to suppose that each letter is on a separate tile. There will be 9! ways to arrange the tiles. But you can also get these permutations by forming all of your 9-letter words, and for each of those arranging the A tiles in all 3! possible ways, and the B's in 2! ways, and the C's in 4! ways. So your answer, multiplied by 3!2!4!, equals 9!. That leads directly to the solution.

But why do you call this a misunderstanding?