Please Help

Hunterj

I Needed Help With This Question I Dont Know If The Percentages Were A Mistake?
[FONT=&quot]In a school of 340 students, 40% study Japanese (A), 75% study French (B) and 20% study both, and 5% study neither language. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Determine the probability that a student who is selected will study only one language

[/FONT]

Capture.jpg

In a school of 340 students, 40% study Japanese (A), 75% study French (B) and 20% study both, and 5% study neither language.
Determine the probability that a student who is selected will study only one language

View attachment 10539
View attachment 10539 To assist yourself in visualising the problem, start with a Venn diagram?

Assume that the school offers classes in only two languages. Try to answer the total percentage of people taking none of the languages "OR" taking both.

In a school of 340 students, 40% study Japanese (A), 75% study French (B) and 20% study both, and 5% study neither language.
Determine the probability that a student who is selected will study only one language

As you will see when you make a Venn diagram, the percentages given do add up correctly. So you can trust the problem.

You are asked for the probability that a student studies only one of the two languages (assuming those are the only two languages offered). That is the probability that they study either only Japanese OR only French.

What is the probability that a student studies only Japanese? Only French?

The rest is not hard. Please show your thoughts if you need any additional help.

Venn2.jpg Sorry but I have used this diagram multiple times therefore the letters do not match yours.

Area A is for those taking only Japanese, B for those taking both, C taking only French, & D taking neither.
My suggestion is for you to start as always in the middle \(\displaystyle B=20\%(340)=68\).
Fill out the remaining areas useing actual numbers. Post your results and any further questions.