y=mx+c for the complete beginer

magnet

How do you work out the gradient of the graph(m) when the 'y' axis is in completely different units to 'x', for instance if difference in y=0.2 and difference in x=1500

magnet said:
How do you work out the gradient of the graph(m) when the 'y' axis is in completely different units to 'x', for instance if difference in y=0.2 and difference in x=1500
Why is it troublesome? It's just very flat.

m = 0.2/1500 = 2/15000 = 1/7500

tkhunny said:
magnet said:
Why is it troublesome? It's just very flat.

m = 0.2/1500 = 2/15000 = 1/7500

Yes but the gradient is 45deg on the graph because 1 unit on the 'x' axis is 0.2 with 1 unit on the 'y' 5000

I think I see the problem.

I once wrote a computer program (in the Dark Ages) to create character-based graphs of linear equations. I decided to go about it just a bit differently than other projects I had seen. Other students printed out the scale exactly the same for each graph. The task, then, was to find where on the page to put the graph of the line. I decided to change the scale of each graph AND move the Origin around. I thought it was a brilliant plan to get more of the graph of the line on each page. As it turned out, my project was VERY disappointing. My charts came in only four varieties: Vertical, Horizontal, Positive Slope, and Negative Slope. Essentially, they ALL looked exactly the SAME. One was required to check the SCALE and find the Origin to see that each was a different line graph.

My point, here, is to encourage you NOT to rely on your visual perception. If your y-scale and your x-scale are VERY different, you WILL get results you don't understand at all unless you know about the scale in both directions. It may LOOK LIKE a 45º angle, but your scale knows better than your eyes.

Am I totally off-the-wall, here, or have I managed to say something useful?