Is Geometry hard?

~Midnight.Kitten~

Well, is it? lol I mean like the High School Higher Geometry, I heard it has like algebra included in it.In 8th grade we didnt do geometry because of the 3 sections i was in the lowest, and the other one i know did gemoetry..

My Reply

Geometry can be hard depending on your math background. Math is a sequential subject. For example, if you do not understand the basics of algebra 1 and 2, then geometry might be a problem. It also depends on your teacher's ability to easily explain geometry in class. I recall very few math high school teachers. The teachers I do remember, were excellent at what they do for a living. Make sure to review your algebra concepts during the summer. It will help to get ready for battle in geometry land.

Guido

P.S. Make sure to understand geometry terms like: line, ray, angle and the rest. Okay?

Re: My Reply

Guido said:
Geometry can be hard depending on your math background. Math is a sequential subject. For example, if you do not understand the basics of algebra 1 and 2, then geometry might be a problem. It also depends on your teacher's ability to easily explain geometry in class. I recall very few math high school teachers. The teachers I do remember, were excellent at what they do for a living. Make sure to review your algebra concepts during the summer. It will help to get ready for battle in geometry land.

Guido

P.S. Make sure to understand geometry terms like: line, ray, angle and the rest. Okay?

okay, but im not doing geometry next year lol. Im repeating algebra 1 because i failed it in 8th last year. i almost failed 8th grade, because i got 4 E's but my finals helped me pass.

I took Algebra in 9th grade and did OK.
I took Algebra II in 10th grade and did very poorly.
When I took Geometry in 11th grade, I woke up. I loved it.
I really never got below an A- after that.

Not everyone has the same experience.

#1 item on my list is that geometry is probably entirely different from whatever you have had before. If you get used to seeing two examples and then working 50 problems, that's just not going to happen. It's a THINK class. The Pythagorean Theorem is an excellent example. If there were only ONE way to prove it, it would be like your algebra class. I seem to remember a count somewhere in the neighborhood of 500(!) different proofs of the Pythagorean Theorem (relationship of the sides of a right triangle). Wow! Why keep doing it after it has been done 499 different ways? Learning to think, think in an orderly fashion, and think in a new way. You really don't get to do that in algebra. You hardly get to do it in Calculus. Geometry is special.

What's calculus!

I heard geometry is very hard..that you have to tihnk outside the box. It's called Discret math and geometry here, and its a grade 12 course. theres no geometry for gr.11..its just GR. 11 math here. But then for the grade 1 courses there's calculus, geometry, and data.
BTW what's calculus???? I'm taking that next year.. :? I'm gunna be surrounded by a bunch of gr.12s...

anna, if you've only HEARD that geometry is tough, as in, you do not know for yourself, you WILL have some catching up to do in calculus. Calculus assumes a good background in everything. It's a whole new world.

I mean at our school I heard that Dicret math and geometry or w/e it is called is hard, cuz you can only take the course if you completed the Gr.11 U math successfully. Gr.12 calculus is not as hard, cuz Gr.11 M (U/c) math can take it. Gr.11 U Math is all problem solving questions, and same with discret math

Without looking at the specific curricula, it would be difficult to provide a reasonable response. Easy or hard is substantially up to the individual student. The math doesn't change.