Rabbit Puzzle

fourselfs

Nine rabbits are in a fenced in square area. Sketch two more square fenced so that each rabbit is contained inside its own fenced area. How would you draw these two new areas????

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. Are you being asked to draw two lines inside a square to form nine separate areas? Or are you being asked to append two new square areas to the original square area?

Please reply with the exact text of the question. Thank you.

Eliz.

I am not sure. I posted the exact text from the question. There is a picture of nine rabbits in a square. There are three rabbits on three separate rows. Correction. There are two pictures like the one described above.

So confussed!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated!

So there is a picture that goes along with the question? There is some sort of square, with some assemblage of marks ("rabbits") inside the square, and you are being asked to add two lines (or two squares?) to (into? through?) the original square to split the marks into individual sections...?

Please provide a detailed description of the picture (or a link), as it would seem that the picture is more than an illustration of the exercise, but is actually the exercise itself.

Thank you.

Eliz.

I will try and give a better description. There are two large squares on a sheet of paper. The squares are congruent and inside both squares there are nine rabbits. Three rows and three columns. The rabbits are equally sized and spaced inside the squares. The text above the pictures reads:

These nine rabbits are in a fenced-in square area. Sketch two more square fences so that each rabbit is contained inside its own fenced area.

The class I am taking is for future middle school teachers and this week we have been learning about perimeter and area. We have also been using geoboards. This hand out was with a packet that we did on Pick's Therom. I don't know if any of this info will help but I appreciate you trying to help me. I wish I had a way to upload the hand out to this board so you could see exactly what I am talking about. But I don't.

Anyway thanks again for your thoughts.

Thank you for the description. The exercise makes a lot more sense now.

Here's a hint: Don't restrict yourself to squares whose sides are aligned with those of the original square. Think "diamond" or "kite". And let the corners touch the sides.

Eliz.

Further hint: find the midpoint of each of the square's 4 sides,
then join them...