confused

G

In a right triange, one of the acute angles is 9% less than twice the other acute angle. Find the measure of each acute angle.

Not sure how to do this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know a right triangle is 180 degrees total. Is the acute angle total different? Thanks so much for your help. :lol:

The angle sum of any triangle is 180°. What is special about a right triangle? What is the angle sum of the two non-right angles? If one angle is nine percent less than twice the other, what percent is it OF the other? If the one angle's measure is indicated by "x", what then is the expression for the other angle's measure?

Add the variable and the expression, set equal to the known angle sum, and solve for the value of the variable. Back-solve for the measure of the other angle.

Eliz.

Thanks

Here is what I did, but it was wrong according to my book answer: The book says the answer is: The angles are 57 degrees and 33 degrees.

Here is what I tried...where did I go wrong?

Let x represent one angle
Let y represent the other angle
x + y= 180
One angle is 9 degrees less than twice the other angle:
x= 2y-9

The x variable is in the 2nd equations and is already isolated so:::
(2y-9)+y=180

2y-9+y=180
3y-9=180
3y=171
y=57 degrees

x=2y-9
x=2(57)-9
x=114-9
x=105

My first equation came out right but not the second one. Any suggestions to what the heck I did wrong?????? Thank you so much! 8-)

At first you said "nine percent"; now you say "nine degrees". Which is it?

You say that the two angles are "x" and "y". Then why have you added "x" and "2y - 9"?

Why have you said that the sum of two angles is 180°?

Please try the instructions in the previous post.

Eliz.

sorry

sorry for the typo. Usually going 90 miles an hour.
I thought the total sum would be 180. NO? Acute angles have 45degrees right? So do I had 45 and 45 to get the total sum for the two angles? I am totally dumb when it comes to word problems....actually math all together....I am learning this just to help my kids when they have homework problems. Not doing so good.
My answer to the first degree came out right...did I do that one right????
I was just trying to go by my book. I really need a classroom I think :cry:

Forty-five degree angles are acute, but not all acute angles have a measure of 45°.

Meanwhile, what makes a right triangle a "right" triangle? Yes, all triangles sum to 180°, but that is the sum of all three angles, not just two of them. In this case, you are given the measure of the third angle; it is hidden in the name of the triangle. This gives you the remaining degrees in the sum, the total of the other two angles.
Eliz.

YAH!`

Hey Liz,
What a dodo I am. I figured it out! I am usually really tired when I try do about 3 problems a night after working full time./plus 3 kids.....I really appreciate what you do though....you get my brain working!!!!!!!!
Thanks.
Amy

oh boy...poor Amy...
Well, why don't you tell your kids to leave you alone!!