NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ladyHorror

:evil: I am so conufused on this the question is Austin has 42 paperback boos that are either mysteries or science fiction. If he has more mysteries than science fiction books, how many mysteries does he have?

I reallly need help on this so please dont just give the answer i need to understand the fromula that is used so if you can help me please help me

Danielle

ladyHorror said:
Austin has 42 paperback boos[sic] that are either mysteries or science fiction. If he has more mysteries than science fiction books, how many mysteries does he have?
There is no way to determine the number from only the information provided. He may have forty-one mysteries and one sci-fi, or twenty-two mysteries and twenty sci-fi's, or anything in between. There is no way to find the specific answer.

Eliz.

new

im sorry i missed a part of it here is the right one
Austin has 42 paperback books that are either Mysteries or science fiction. If he has 16 more Mysteries than science fiction books, how many mysteries does he have?

Pick a variable for the number of sci-fi books. Write an expression, in terms of this variable, for the number of mysteries. Add the variable and the expression, and set the sum equal to the total number of books. Solve.

Eliz.

see im still confused some one showed me the equation but i dont know how to solve it i keep getting the wrong answer i just dont know what to do

Try to relax. You have to back up and think calmly. Panic will not help.

Step #1 - Name Stuff.

Let's use Elizabeth's definition. I'll Pick X = # of Sci-Fi books.

There. That was a step of far greater importance than you might imagine. We just created a definition and now we know what we are talking about. Did you do that?

What's next?

answer

some one helped me and I got the answer i did this
fiction books=x
mystery books= x+16
x+x+16=42
42-16=26
2x=26
26\2=13
sceince fiction books = 13
13+16=29
mystery books=29

Re: answer

ladyHorror said:
IS that right
Since you did the steps that have been suggested, it is likely to be correct, at least in methodology. But to check this answer (or the answer to any "solving" problem), plug the answer back into the original question. In this case:

. . . . .Is 29 sixteen more than 13?

. . . . .Is 29 plus 13 equal to 42?

If you answered "yes" to both questions, then you have verified that your solution is correct.

Eliz.

Re: answer

ladyHorror said:
some one helped me and I got the answer i did this
fiction books=x
mystery books= x+16
x+x+16=42
42-16=26
2x=26
26\2=13
sceince fiction books = 13
13+16=29