Word problem

G

A baseball player hits the ball at an angle of 30degrees with an initial velocity of 112ft/s. The horizontal position of the ball, x (measured in feet) depends on the number of second, t, after the ball is struck according to the equation. x=56(3t^)

a. What is the horizontal position of the ball after 1 s?
b. What is the horizontal position of the ball after 3.5 s?

Have no idea how to do this.
Thanks.

Hello, afreemanny!

A baseball player hits the ball at an angle of 30° with an initial velocity of 112 ft/s.
The horizontal position of the ball, x (measured in feet) depends on the number of second, t,
after the ball is struck according to the equation: x = 56(3t^)

a. What is the horizontal position of the ball after 1 s?
b. What is the horizontal position of the ball after 3.5 s?
According to the given data, the horizontal distance is: .x(t) .= .112(cos 30°)t .= .(56√3)t
. . Is that what you meant?
If so, just plug in t = 1 and t = 3.5 . . .

Really not getting this

I tried this, but my book says the answer is 97 ft for 1 sec.
and 339 ft for 3.5 sec.

I am so not getting those answers doing what I think you are telling me to do. Dumb is what I am with this crap!

I think part of the problem might be that we have yet to see what the book's formula is. If you'll note, the other replies have included a request for a re-post of the formula and a guess as to what the formula might have been. If you could reply with a clear statement of the formula, that might help. Thank you.

Eliz.

HI

The book only said what I posted: the equation is x=56^3t
I don't know how to make that sign that look like a division sign on the keyboard. the square root symbol. so i used ^. Probably wrong with that too hah?

At first, you posted the formula as "x=56(3t^) ". Now you are posting it as "x=56^3t", and saying that the "^" isn't to be taken as the "to the power of" symbol, as is customary. Instead, we are to take "^" to mean "divided by", or perhaps "the square root of". I don't mean to sound critical, but I hope you can see our side of things: until you state clearly what the formula is, we have little way of checking your work. So--

Is the formula one of the following?

. . . . .a) x = 56×3t<sup>(some power not yet specified)</sup>

. . . . .b) x = 56 ÷ (3t)

. . . . .c) x = 56×sqrt(3t)

. . . . .d) x = 56×sqrt(3)t

. . . . .e) x = 56 ÷ sqrt(3t)

Or is it something else?

Thank you for your help.

Eliz.

oops

I belive it is answer c. I figured out (I think) how to type what the equations said:
_____
x= 56\/ 3t

Does this look better. I have no business trying to learn this stuff!

If the formula is "x = 56 sqrt(3t)", then answer question (a) by plugging "1" in for "t":

. . . . .x = 56 sqrt(3×1) = 56 sqrt(3)

Answer question (b) in a similar manner.

Eliz.

YAH!`

Got this finally. Out of 26 questions, only 4 are giving me a hard time!
Thanks,
A