a q abt shopping

patriotsrock05

again i need help setting up an inequality

heres the q....
You have 58$ and u want to buy a pair of jeans and a 20$ shirt. there is 6% sales tax...if x represents the cost of the jeans write an inequality that models the situation. Then solve the inequality to find the maximum price u can pay 4 the jeans.

my question isdo u use PEMDAS or start rite off with 58-20

patriotsrock05 said:
ok actually i could use some help..... any advice?
You said earlier that you didn't need help on this, so I'm assuming you made a fair degree of progress and are just having trouble finishing up. Please reply with whatever you've got so far. Thank you.

Eliz.

ok here it goes

50-28=38

wait now im lost o wait

oh yeah i set it up as 58> x+20*.06
58> x + 1.20
then i got AHHh it doesnt work out :evil:

im soo frustrated plz help!

Subtracting twenty-eight from fifty does not yield "38". Did you perhaps mean "58 - 20"?

58> x+20*.06
This says "my total funds are greater than some value 'x", plus six percent of the cost of one pair of jeans". The tax is six percent on the entire purchase, not just one pair of jeans, and is added to the original price, rather than replacing it.

You have not defined "x". You need to do that first.

Then consider the pattern:

. . . . .If you buy one pair, how much are the taxes?
. . . . .What is the total cost?

. . . . .If you buy two pairs, how much are the taxes?

. . . . .If you buy three pairs, how much are the taxes?

Look at the steps you did in answering those questions. Now use the same steps to answer:

. . . . .If you buy "j" pairs, how much are the taxes?

Create an expression, in terms of your variable for the number of pairs, for the total cost. Set this "less than or equal to" the given total amount of funds.

Eliz.

i also have a question about this problem... :?:

i have

58>x(.06)+x+20(.06)+20 so far...

..would this be right? :?

thanks!

no no no...that cant be right...it doesnt work out right... :?

any suggestions??? :?:

thanks!

REDxoAMBiTi0N: Please follow the advice in one of the previous posts: First, define what "x" stands for.

Rock N Roll: Since you haven't posted a question in this thread, I have no idea what your problem is, but assaulting the students posting in the thread is hardly productive. Kindly go away. Thank you.

Eliz.