Quick help

jess51483

Ok guys! I'm back, I've been here before and it helped a lot, so I managed to find the site again. Here goes...
I'm having a quiz tomorrow in my math 4 ele ed teachers class. 2 problems I'm sure will be on the quiz and I need someone to help me out.

The first one is this:

Sue is going to build 100 yds of straight fence. The fence posts are to be 10 yds apart. How many fence posts will she need?
Ok so this one I think is very simple but I want to make sure. I marked down a bunch of fence posts and inbetween two of them I wrote 10 yds, then I just kept doing that until I reached 100, and got a total of 11 posts. Is that correct?

Second one is more difficult for me:

Mike has a bike shop and has bikes and trikes in his inventory. He wants to make his daughter do some problem solving so he tells her that there are a total of 54 wheels on his bikes and trikes. How many of EACH, COULD he have? List all possibilites.

Ok guys thats where I'm stuck, there has got to be an easier way than what I'm trying to do. I drew a bunch of circles and started putting lines on them representing wheels and its getting way too confusing, especially since we are suppose to list all possible answers. But then again this is an elementary teacher class and we are suppose to use possible ways of thinking like a child (drawing circles), and how an adult would figure it out. Any suggestions?

1) Yes.

2) Start making a list. Bikes have two wheels; trikes have three. Since the total is even, can you have an odd number of trikes? Start working from there. Just make a list of the possibilities.

Eliz.