I need help ASAP on a homework Problem, anyone?

rachael724

Hello this is my math question. I am having a problem with getting this problem started.

A vending machine contains dimes and quarters only. There are 4 more dimes than quarters. If x represents the number of quarters, write an algebraic expression in terms of x that represents the value of all the coins in the vending machine in cents. Simplify the expression.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

rachael724 said:
Hello this is my math question. I am having a problem with getting this problem started.
A vending machine contains dimes and quarters only. There are 4 more dimes than quarters. If x represents the number of quarters, write an algebraic expression in terms of x that represents the value of all the coins in the vending machine in cents. Simplify the expression.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
since quarters = x, then dimes = ?

2 quarters have value 2(.25); x quarters have value ?

I am so lost can you explain.......... this is probably a simple problem but I am having so much trouble figuring it out. In the end I will probably say duh!

rachael724 said:
You are having trouble getting started because the problem statement already did it for you. Just go on from there, one piece at a time.

"If x represents the number of quarters"

x = # of Quarters

"There are 4 more dimes than quarters"

x + 4 = # of Dimes

"write an algebraic expression in terms of x that represents the value of all the coins in the vending machine in cents"

x*25 + (x+4)*10 = Value of all coins in the machine - in pennies

"Simplify the expression"

Oh, you do that part.

tkhunny said:
rachael724 said:
You are having trouble getting started because the problem statement already did it for you. Just go on from there, one piece at a time.

"If x represents the number of quarters"

x = # of Quarters

"There are 4 more dimes than quarters"

x + 4 = # of Dimes

"write an algebraic expression in terms of x that represents the value of all the coins in the vending machine in cents"

x*25 + (x+4)*10 = Value of all coins in the machine - in pennies

"Simplify the expression"

Oh, you do that part.

pennies? So now do I have to solve for the value of coins in the machine?

x*25 + (x+4)*10

So now do I have to solve for the value of coins in the machine?

No. You don't have enough information to actually solve for the value. Just simplify x*25 + (x+4)*10.